1-9 A mark of Love

The still morning air echoed with the sound of a deep rhythmic chanting. Lilly sat at a small round table under the shade of a great tree listening to the tones. A silver tray piled with food provided by Thayle rested before her.

Lilly poked at the food, not feeling very hungry. It consisted mostly of something Thayle called fruits and cream. She decided to try one of the fruits only because Thayle had insisted. It was a plump heart-shaped fruit with a vivid red color. It had a crown of thin green leaves and tiny seeds scattered about its surface. It was no more than a mouthful and easily held with her fingertips. Carefully she dipped it into the cream and held it before her face to smell. Noting the pleasing aroma, she took a small bite and enjoyed the sweet flavor while listening to the chanting on the wind.

"He chants every morning, doesn't he?" Thayle asked as she walked out of the temple. She wore the same green robe decorated with gold vines and the hood thrown back. Her hair hung loosely around her shoulders this morning, giving her a less intense look.

"He sings to his God every morning," Lilly replied as she considered eating another red fruit.

"There is much power in that chant. I wonder if he is even aware of how powerful he is."

"Gersius seems to know everything," Lilly said as she studied the other fruits, wondering if they were as delicious.

"Gersius is a brave man. He does things purely because they are expected, and he always does them with his whole heart." She smiled at Lilly as she spoke. "At least the stories say so."

Thayle walked past the table folding her arms. "I have never met him before yesterday, and yet I could almost swear I had known him before. Perhaps I know men like him, dedicated men of purpose. You frequently run into that sort of thing with priests." She glanced back at Lilly, who was trying to pick up a slice of soft orange fruit. It was moist and slick, slipping through her fingers as she tried to grab it.

Thayle looked away and smiled. The girl pretended not to listen, playing with the fruit for distraction. Perhaps it was time to be blunt again. "Yes, he is brave. It takes a brave man to tame a dragon." This time she got a response.

"He didn't tame me!" Lilly shouted as she crushed the fruit in a fist.

"He didn't tame you?" Thayle asked, surprised.

"No, he didn't!" Lilly shouted, getting up to face her. "He," Lilly paused, unsure of what to say now that this human had angered her. She wanted to tell this rodent that she was free and did what she wanted. She wanted to make sure Thayle knew Gersius had no power over her, but that wasn't true. When her pause had gone on too long, she looked around, searching for the right words, but they eluded her. "He helped me," she finally said when nothing else would come.

"Must have been a large favor. You dragons are not exactly known for gratitude," Thayle replied, studying the strange behavior.

"How do you know I am a dragon? Did Gersius tell you?" Lilly demanded.

Thayle glared at her with those oddly narrow eyes as a smile spread slowly on her face. She looked intimidating again as if her gaze was somehow a danger. "Lilly, I can see it in your aura. Yours isn't like a human aura at all. I can see your dragon form as a shadow over your head. You are almost as clear to me as I am to you now."

Lilly hated this feeling of uncertainty and wasn't sure what to do. She was alone and unsure far too often in this charade. She wished he was here to squeeze her hand and face this strange woman down. Gersius would know what to say to her to make her go away.

"Gersius says nobody should know I am a dragon. He wants me to keep it a secret."

"It is a secret. I have already sworn on my faith not to reveal it."