1-23 A mistake is made

An hour later, Thayle found Lilly sitting alone in her room absentmindedly playing with her necklace. She rubbed the bluestone with a thumb, lost in thoughts that twisted her aura with doubt.

"Lilly," Thayle called as she entered the room. "Why are you always in here?"

"I wanted to be alone," Lilly replied as she looked up with sad blue eyes. "I needed to think."

"Well, get up," Thayle said. "You and I are going out."

"Out?" Lilly repeated as if not understanding.

"Yes, out," Thayle said with a wide smile. "We are going into the city so I can get you something to eat and maybe to wear."

"I can go into the city?" Lilly exclaimed and quickly came to her feet. "Is Gersius waiting?"

"Gersius isn't coming," Thayle said with a shake of her head. "This is just you, me, and some women from the temple to make sure we're safe."

"Gersius isn't coming? Lilly asked as she froze and looked confused.

"Lilly, you don't need Gersius to go everywhere with you," Thayle said with a warm expression. "I am going to go with you and keep you safe. I promise."

"But Gersius is..." she trailed off, lost in thought.

Thayle wondered what Lilly was about to say. She would give a king's fortune to know what was going on in that dragon's mind. She needed more information, but Lilly's aura said nothing other than she was afraid.

"Sweetheart, it will be fine. I will hold your hand the whole time if it makes you feel better. You will be surrounded by battle priestesses to ensure we are both safe."

Lilly's aura flared to life the moment Thayle called her sweetheart. Thayle was taken aback as the light began to dance her way, mingling with her own in a display of affection. She caught Lilly's gaze as they looked at her hand and had no choice but to hold it out. Lilly eagerly grabbed it, smiling as she wrapped her fingers around Thayles. The moment was alarming as Thayle began to feel excited by Lilly's sudden interest. She looked into Lilly's bright eyes and had to tell herself that this was for Gersius.

"Come," she said to break the moment. "There is something we need to do first. I want to disguise your hair."

"Why do we need to disguise my hair?" Lilly asked as Thayle led her out of the room.

"Because it's long and a very unusual color. People will notice you in a crowd and start whispering about the woman they saw," Thayle answered.

"You're not going to cut it off?" Lilly asked.

"No," Thayle said in a gasp. She would sooner cut off her own hand than Lilly's long silky hair. Just thinking about it made her remember how much she loved to brush and braid it. She loved -- Thayle paused a moment then took a deep breath before continuing with Lilly firmly holding her hand.

Prime Arlin arranged for the halls to be cleared so Thayle could safely move Lilly to a small office set aside for their use. Inside were four women in full armor and carrying the metal tip clubs common to their order. A table stood along the wall with an assortment of items from small pots to what looked like black fur.

Thayle guided Lilly to a stool and asked her to sit before turning to one of the women. She was tall with creases on her face and firm steel-gray eyes. She carried herself with a calm confidence that the others lacked as they gawked at Lilly's aura.

Thayle addressed the woman as Cassandra and introduced her to Lilly, explaining that Cassandra would help hide who Lilly was.

"She has a lot of hair," Cassandra said as she lifted the blue mass. "It would be easier to cut some off."