Chapter 4-The Empire's reason and Okonomiyaki

Colonel Gratham looked nervous as he bowed to the person on the other side of the screen.

It was Lieutenant General Michelle, the highest in command of the southern security force.

So it was no surprise that Colonel Gratham was nervous.

Not only was Lieutenant General Michelle the highest in command of the southern security force, but she was the Governor-General of South City.

◆◆◆

Before the great war, this world was separated into seven 'cities.'

The cities were complete sustainable cities that were the product of the best technology of the time.

The population was fifty million.

The whole world worked together to create this dream-like robotic utopia.

In these complete cities, humans did not need to work.

To be precise, under the total control of artificial intelligences, they had a comfortable life guaranteed for them.

There was only a small number of people that helped manage the cities and decided the direction they would take. All of the other labour was done by machines.

People had the bare minimum when it comes to clothes, food and shelter and were also able to enjoy public entertainment.

This was promised to all fifty million citizens.

However-

The entire population of the world was actually ten billion.

Due to a rise in population, the world was becoming oversaturated.

There were those who were promised comfort and those who were not.

Only a small fraction of those ten billion would be chosen as residents of paradise.

So perhaps it was no surprise that hatred would be born from this difference.

The plan to build these cities continued to be carried out by the one world government.

But before they were finished, there were those who raised their voices in discontent.

They were blind to their own laziness, no, perhaps it was because of their laziness, that they despised and hated those who would be allowed to live in the cities.

Wars often occurred over small things, when thoughtless people are quick to anger.

Faster than the computers had predicted, the environment began to change, and water shortages began to become desperate.

The predictions that there would be mass starvation before the rest of the cities were complete started to look like a reality. It was then that it happened.

Riots.

Those who could not get into the cities began to attack.

These riots spread throughout the world, and the flames of violence began to grow.

And turn to war.

-And now.

Of the seven original 'cities,' only five remained.

This was the territory of the Mechanized Empire of Almsbine.

Almsbine, the supreme leader of the cities' administration was made Emperor, and the surviving citizens were made subjects of the empire who would guard its territories as soldiers.

It was the best way to live in this harsh environment. Everyone had agreed to this.

The city where the first riot had occurred-it was the last place to be rebuilt as plans had been delayed, and so after the riots, it became the first place to be hit with nuclear bombs.