Chapter 18-Rescue

Michelle was in despair.

She had been betrayed by Jegyll, the one friend who she trusted and could be real with.

Her body could not move.

Her brain had been disconnected from it, and now her own body felt like it was far away.

Ah, I’m so tired—Michelle thought.

When the ideals that her father had dreamed of were shattered, Michelle decided to live while hiding her true feelings.

As a leader, she decided to prioritize the values of the majority over her own.

Save those who needed to be saved, even though it came with sacrifices.

You couldn’t save everyone, but save those that you could.

And in the worst-case scenario, you might have to sacrifice a hundred to save one. She had that resolve when it came to politics.

Kill your emotion and only act based on the logic of numbers you could trust.

It was people who could do this that were fit to lead.

So, no matter how much she agonized over something, she didn’t complain in front of anyone.

She had always acted as if what she was doing was right. And she would lead them with pride.

—However, it had been different with Jegyll.

And now she was betrayed. It dealt more damage to Michelle than she could have ever imagined.

And that was why the lock to the door had broken.

(I don’t care about what happens now…)

She muttered without a voice.

Despair and then resignation. It seemed natural enough.

But…

-Don’t give up, Michelle. If you give up, the Mobius System will become uncontrollable—

Her father’s voice awakened her consciousness.

(Yes… It’s too early to give up…)

Even though she could not move her body, her mind was healthy.

The Mobius System was already running, but she could still…

Besides, there was something strange about Jegyll’s betrayal.

(Yes, now that I think about it…)

When she thought back on it, Jegyll had seemed odd.

Her voice and movements were the same as usual. Michelle had occasionally said things that referenced their past as they talked. And Jegyll had reacted properly every time.

And so Michelle assumed that the strangeness she had felt must be nothing. However, now she considered the possibility that something she wasn’t aware of was at play here.

The ‘brain’ was an important organ and was protected in several ways. That meant that hypnosis and brainwashing should not work, but she couldn’t be completely confident about it either.

After all, something similar was happening to herself currently.

Perhaps Jegyll had also had her ‘brain’ isolated from her body and had the information stolen—in spite of knowing very little, Michelle was able to make a guess that was very close to the truth.

(If that’s true, then I cannot give up here!!)

Her fighting spirit burned anew, and she considered what it was that she could do now.