CHAPTER 8. you're a good guy

It was 2 weeks after Amaya was discharged from the hospital that she felt good enough to return to the school

It was 2 weeks after Amaya was discharged from the hospital that she felt good enough to return to the school. She'd never been as scared as she was in the tank of rising water, and it was something that kept replaying in her mind.

"It's normal," Shoko Ieiri told the young girl. "It's bound to be fresh in your head since you almost died."

"Ieiri-san, do you personally think I should come back so soon, then?" Amaya asked for the older woman's opinion.

Spinning slightly in her chair, Ieiri was quick to respond, "I wouldn't if I were you. Out on a mission before you know it, you could suddenly be triggered and find yourself actually dead."

To her surprise, Okkotsu's presence actually calmed her down more than she thought it would. Not that it was only him, because everyone else was there for her. Okkotsu stood out the most because he seemed to be more worried about her state than anyone else was, even more worried than Amaya was herself. Even Megumi mentioned this observation to the girl, and she thought it was endearing of him.

At the thought of the black-haired boy, Amaya's cheeks turned crimson. As she walked next to the boy himself, she snuck a glance at him.

'Wait... do I like-like him?' Okkotsu turned his head to meet Amaya's eyes, and her heart skipped a beat. 'Oh my god, I do like-like him! I've only known him for nearly 2 months too!'

Of course, Amaya's thought about boys her age. But she never really found herself having a crush. She might've thought someone was cute, but they never lingered in her mind.

However, there was something different about the boy walking next to her. She's never met someone so sweet. He also knew what it was like to lose someone close to him, and that made it easier to connect to him, even if only a little bit more.

Tsumiki was important to amaya, and she was cursed into a coma. Rika was important to Okkotsu, and he become a cursed spirit attached to him after death.

It was kind of heartbreaking to think about. Happy experiences are able to bring people together, but also tragic and despondent times. The world worked in an odd way.

"Amaya-san?" the boy tilted his head. "Are you alright?"

She coughed, "Y-yeah, it's just warm for being so late in the year."

"Hm, it kinda is now that i think about it," Okkotsu readjusted his jacket's collar.

'Ah, don't do that either if you look good doing so! Is this what it feels like to have a crush!?'

"Well, we're here," Amaya announced when she saw the supermarket's sign. "The sun's going to set soon too, so it won't be as busy. We can get lots of snacks without holding up anyone."

When the pair entered the store, Okkotsu asked what they were even doing there in the first place. When he wanted to check up on Amaya, he didn't expect her to ask him if he wanted to go out to buy snacks.