Eighteen

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Mariposa beamed as she walked out of the car door. She took a cautious step up to the porch, searching her bag for her keys. The witch experienced happiness for the first time in a long time.

She opens the door and turns to wave to Klaus, who had been waiting for her inside. She removes her boots and leaves them at the front entrance once inside the house.

"Mom!" She called from within the small house, when Brandy didn't react, her brows wrinkled. Mariposa assumed that the older witch is sleeping since she had to get up early for work.

Mariposa, on the other hand, proceeded to her mother's bedroom, intending to inform her that she had returned. She comes to a halt in front of the bedroom door, where the witch already knocked.

Then she knocks again, this time louder almost as though Brandy didn't hear the first time. She enters it and turns on the lights, only to find no one there.

As she headed to the restroom to have a look inside, her frown became even more pronounced. Mariposa takes a shallow breath and feels her heart start to race.

She had a feeling things weren't quite right.

Mariposa rushed to the garage after dropping her purse in the middle of the washroom. She quickly opens the door, seeing her mother's car parked.

The witch became agitated as she looked for any sign of her mother's whereabouts. Mariposa knew she didn't leave with someone because Brandy's handbag and phone were both there.

She went straight to the kitchen, which was the only place she didn't look. Mariposa entered the kitchen but tripped over something, and when she glanced down, she discovered a puddle of blood.

Mariposa lifted her hand to her face shakily, a broken sob escaping her throat. She took out her phone with her clean hand and dialed Elijah, the last person she had spoken to. Elijah answered the phone with a casual hello after hearing two tones.

"Elijah! I can't seem to find my mother!" Her breath was heaving as she talked hurriedly. Elijah can hear her sniffles on the other end of the line. "H-her belongings are here, but there is blood! A lot of it, and don't know what to do!" She sobbed.

The ancient vampire attempted to calm the witch, but the witch continued to rant "I need your help! By now, anything may have happened to her; who knows how long she's been missing!"

"Elskan, clam yourself. My siblings and I are currently on our way." After then, he hung up the phone.

Mariposa leaned against the wall, her back to the wall, trying to regain her breath. Her bottom lip quivered, and she wiped her tears with the back of her hand.

She felt sick to her stomach, her mind racing with all the possible awful things that may have happened to Brandy. Mariposa vowed to never be alone again. Mariposa's mother was all she had, and if she dies, she will be alone.