𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 | ᴡɪɴᴛᴇʀ ʙʀᴇᴀᴋ

╔═════ ✭✧✦✧✭ ═════╗
╚═════ ✭✧✦✧✭ ═════╝
𝟎𝟏. 𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤
──.◦*.:◦✧*.◦✰*.:◦✧*.◦:◦*.◦───

It wasn't long before the students in Mr. Richard's English class were let go for winter break. The only reason they showed up today was to get the last of their things out of their lockers and to get their report cards, which were of course handed out in the last period of the day. 

Evelynn shoved her report card into her bag not bothering to look at it. It was probably just how it always was and she wasn't trying to flaunt it. Her report card was always littered with the letter 'A' much like her younger brother. She got teased relentlessly by her older brother's friends and she hated it, they, on the other hand, were a different story.

Evelynn loved her little group of people. Her three brothers and their four friends. Evelynn always gravitated toward Soda and Steve as they had formed a close bond when they were younger. They had labeled themselves as the "troubled trio" and they were right for sure. Her parents had loved watching the three get along but they always knew when they were up to something and resented what it was. They caused trouble wherever they went and it hadn't changed that much since the Curtis parents died. 

Evelynn met up with Pony at her locker before heading on out of the dreaded place they called school. Steve was supposed to be picking them up but as they went outside and looked around for him, there were no signs of him or his car. They looked at each other and sighed before starting the long back to their home. 

Pony didn't bother trying to start a conversation with Evelynn, knowing it wouldn't really go anywhere. He knew not to say anything the day before a break, especially when they got their report cards. One wrong word and she would be locked in her room for the rest of the day. 

When they arrived home they saw Steve's car in the driveway, that son of a bitch. Pony knew exactly what was going to happen and quickly ran after Evelynn who was already halfway up the steps to their porch. "Steven Randall!"

"Oh shit."

Evelynn took her flannel, or Soda's, from around her waist and started hitting Steve with it, "Where the hell were you?! You made me and Pony walk home in the fucking snow! I'm freezing my ass off." Her teeth chattered as she said it, her cold temperature showing clearly to everyone in the room. 

Darry was quick to wrap his arms around Eve's waist and pull her close to his chest. He pulled his sweatshirt off and roughly pulled it over her head. She sighed at the warmth it brought her and hugged Darry back. Pony, on the other hand, was fine. Though he was guaranteed a talking-to for walking home without a jacket on. 

Steve's eyes were apologetic as he looked at the Curtis girl. He had no intention of leaving the young siblings at their school in the cold Tulsa weather, let alone leaving them to walk home. He one forget that they had ended early and two he honestly thought someone else was picking them up today. 

Eve sighed once more before setting her bag on the ground and taking her report card out of it to hand to her eldest brother. He smiled down at her softly before opening the envelope, his eyes widened at the C that stood towards the bottom of the thick paper. He turned it towards her with an expression on his face that read 'care to explain this'. 

Eve shrugged, "You know I'm not athletic, not even the tiniest bit. Plus we had a new teacher this semester and he is a grade-A asshole." Darry sighed before letting out a soft, "Language."

"I'll let it pass this once." Darry gave her another hug before she went and sat in between Soda and Steve. Darr extended his hand to Pony who gave it to him without a hassle. Pony's grades were similar to his sisters though instead of a C in P.E. it was an A and his math grade was the one that had the half-circle shape next to it. 

"Really, kid?" Like his sister he shrugged, "I tried at least that's more than Eve could say."

"Shut your mouth Ponyboy." Eve's glare had shifted from her best friend to her little brother. 

"Aw is little Evie upset about her P.E. grade?" Soda cooed, earning an elbow to his ribs

"How can you get a C in P.E.? It's like the easiest class."

"You can shut up too Steve. That would be the only class you would be able to pass with the size of your brain." Eve huffed and stormed to her bedroom without another word to anyone in the room. She hated the relentless teasing she got from them. They knew how she felt about P.E. it was her least favorite and the worst class to ever even exist. 

She shut her door semi-roughly, not enough to get in trouble for but enough for her to get her point across. She changed into a pair of sweatpants, not bothering to take her brother's sweatshirt off. She placed her phone on the small bedside table next to her before laying down on her bed. She looked at her hockey stick in the corner of her room and sighed. 

Evelynn loved hockey. Her father always made her watch it growing up and it kind of just stuck. Her parents had signed her up for hockey when she was younger and when they passed she wasn't able to continue. Her best friend Cherry had offered to go to the local rink to practice with her which she appreciated. 

Her room was in fact littered with all things hockey. From team pennants to Wayne Gretzky posters. Her room was her safe place much like any other teenager she had met. She laid there for a while before a knock was heard on the door. She sighed once more before getting up and walking towards it. As she opened it she immediately saw the shoes of her best friend and closed the door again. 

"Evie, please let me in." Eve just ignored him before putting on her headphones and reading her book. 

A few hours had passed since she got home and she was feeling hungry. Tugging her headphones off and placing her bookmark in her book, she slid on her slippers and walked down to the kitchen. No one seemed to be in the house and if they were, they were in the living watching TV quietly. 

She grabbed a small bowl before filling it up with fruit. She grabbed a glass of water before heading towards the living room, where in fact nobody sat. She looked around for any signs of a note and she found it sitting on the small coffee table. "Steve and Soda had work and the rest of us went out to grab some food for dinner. We'll be back in a little while. Love you!"

It was obviously Darry's handwriting and she sighed before turning the tv on and watching whatever crappy show was on today. 

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 ~
𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤
₩₵: 1204