the night of theory

the night of theory

__________________________________________________________________

When Misty waited for Foster to come to the station on days other than Friday, I knew she had something on her mind. Last time she had done this was when her sister had left her a message on her cell phone and didn't want to listen to it alone, and that was almost a year ago.

Misty was strong now. Her messed up story made her into who she is today, but of course she wasn't nearly as strong when it all started. That's when Foster and the station came in. They fixed her up until she could stand on her own- until she could fix the ones that would find their way here, just like she did.

Foster was the only person who saw her at her worst, and Misty was the only one who saw Foster at his worst, so they soon became close. Misty was a little bit protective of Foster, in all honesty, but it was hard for her not to be. Once you see a loved one in unbearable pain, you don't want to see them in the same way ever again, and will do everything possible to prevent it from happening again.

That's why she came here the next night, Saturday, to talk to him.

Foster was not expecting her to be there. If anyone, he would have expected Colleen. He began worrying, but tried not to show it, as he made his way through the entrance, because he knew her presence only meant trouble. "What's wrong?" he instantly asked once he stood in front of her on the tracks.

Misty scoffed slightly. "Nothing's wrong."

"Then why are you here?"

"I just wanted to talk to you."

"Don't tell me that asshole tried calling you again, because if he did-"

Misty shook her head. "He didn't call me-"

"Then was it your sister?"

"Nobody tried calling me, Foster," she said forcefully.

He relaxed only slightly, since his red flags were still way up. "You can't just show up like this. It makes me think that your world's ending."

"Are you going to let me say what I came here to say?"

"Go ahead."

She crossed her arms and looked at the ground before meeting his eyes. "I wanted to warn you about Colleen."

Foster raised his eyebrows. "Warn me?"

Misty nodded. "I see the way you look at her, Foster, and I just want to tell you-"

"Oh, my God," he interrupted, getting slightly annoyed. "I don't have a crush on her."

"I'm not saying you do," she said, "I'm just saying that I can see the wheels turning in your head whenever she's near."

"And what does that have to do with anything?"

Misty looked at him sympathetically, which he hated. He absolutely hated pity more than anything else. "She's an accident waiting to happen."

Foster gave her a look. "What?"

"She's reckless, and fierce, unlike anything you or any of us have dealt with before."

Foster shook his head in disbelief at what he thought Misty was trying to say. "That doesn't change anything."

"You're going to try to fix her, but she's always going to be three steps ahead of you, Foster," she persisted

"That doesn't mean we can't help her."

"But that's the thing," Misty said, her voice taking on a different tone, "she doesn't need our help. She needs to do this on her own."

"Then why the hell would she be here?" Foster was starting to get frustrated. He felt that Misty was trying to undermine him, which was not the case at all.

"I've been thinking about that a lot today, actually." Misty paused, trying to collect her thoughts. That's how she was wise- thinking before she said anything that came to her mind. "Maybe we need to give her the pieces, and she has to put the puzzle together."

Foster didn't say anything for a moment, thinking about what she had said. The picture started to come together in his mind as the idea started to make sense, though he couldn't exactly relate it to Colleen right then. It was too early for him to be making such assumptions.

He ended up not making a comment on the theory, but instead simply said, "You've been thinking about her a lot too, then."

Misty locked eyes with him, crossing her arms tighter over her chest as a breeze whistled through the tunnel. "Yeah. It's kind of hard not to, honestly."

"She's a presence, that's for sure," Foster sighed.

"And strong," Misty added. "Stronger than any of us were."

Foster couldn't help but crack a smile, even if it was only a small one. "But that's why we came to an abandoned train station, right?" Misty furrowed her eyebrows, not understanding what Foster was trying to get at. "We were all train wrecks, and so is Colleen."

__________________________________________________________________

dedicated to @genie_us for her hilarious book why wattpad drives me crazy. go check it out because you will laugh so hard when you read it.

song is treacherous by taylor swift.

thanks for reading! if you liked it let me know:)

-abby xx