Chapter 14

The drive was short and the air was cold. It sent shivers down my spine and I could tell that Troye was not used to the weather I grew up in. I turned the heat all the way up and turned on my favorite album from when I was a teenager. He smiled.

"I'm glad I came, Kel," He looked over at me from the passenger seat with eyes full of blue and warmth. He smiled a large smile and I smiled back. I finally pulled in front of an apartment complex in a neighborhood that I had driven past at least a million times in my childhood.

Troye and I stepped out of the car and we began to walk to my best friend's apartment door, the snow crunching beneath our feet. Snowflakes fell above us, lighting the gray sky with flakes of white and the sun shined, melancholy, in the distance. I knocked on the door a few times and finally he answered the door.

"Kellie?" He looked surprised.

"James," James smiled largely at me and brought me into a big bear hug. James was tall, at least 6'3". He had brownish curly hair that I knew he straightened in the morning. His hands were bony and calloused from drawing. His eyes were greenish brown and shimmered with life. I could tell why Kayla, his fiance, fell for him.

"How are you, you dork!" He said, ushering the two of us into their apartment. It was cluttered with art supplies.

"I'm doing okay,"

"Anything tried to kill you down under yet?" I laughed a little bit.

"Only this nerd," I took Troye by the arm and he smiled.

"Troye, I presume," James held out his hand and Troye took it shyly. "Kayla, my fiance, will be back shortly. We had a problem with the cake decorator," He leaned over his kitchen counter and began to draw something on a canvas that laid there.

"There's quite a lot of art supplies in here," Troye noticed.

"Oh, yeah. I'm a graphic designer. I design logos and t-shirts for local bands and stuff," I looked over at his drawing.

"This is really good!" I said.

"It's a personal project. I'm drawing it for Kayla. It's my gift to her for our wedding,"

The drawing, or painting I suppose, was pencil sketched with colorful paint surrounding a black and white realistic heart. In the heart were black letters, dark as night, that read, My Life Before I Met You.

I looked over at Troye, who was preoccupied with Kayla and James' cat, Henry, and wondered to myself.

Does he know that's how I feel too?