Chapter 4: 'Millipede hunt & Skinny dipping in Lava' (Part-2)

*scene resumes*

Clearing several feet in an instant, I smashed my (aether)-clad fist into the millipede's side with a resounding 'thud'.

However, while the millipede buckled from the impact, the wave of pain that surged up my arm suggested that the damage I had given to it wasn't much to celebrate about.

Landing deftly back on the ground, I crossed the span of the cavern in a sprint as the millipede chased after me.

Just as the millipede got close, I held up a hand straight over my head in a fist—a signal that Regis and I devised to confuse the sound-sensitive (aether) beast.

Immediately, Regis screamed out, "Over here, you crystal-sharding bug!"

The millipede slid to a stop and whirled around toward the source of the voice. Meanwhile, I continued to exhaust my (aether), wrapping my body in a thick layer of (aether) in the hopes that there'd be a different outcome as I flashed forward.

My surroundings blurred as I approached the millipede that was snapping its pincers at the air, trying to catch Regis. I aimed for the joints where one of its many legs were attached to its body, and this time, there was a satisfying crunch as my fist dug into its leg.

The giant leg snapped off and fell on the ground while a gel-like fluid tinted in purple gushed out from the injury. The (aether) beast let out a shrill cry while turning its attention back to me.

I raised my fist once more and Regis let out another cry to get its attention. The millipede hesitated for a moment but it decided to attack Regis again, giving me some time to absorb more (aether) from the crystals abundantly scattered all around us.

Kalon: (this man...just what kind of rune, is that lets him absorb energy off the opponents to feed himself in real-time...how powerful could he be; will he ever get tired while fighting; how can one defeat him...) *head starts to spin as cold sweats form all over his terrified body*

"How does that crap taste, (Arthur)?" Regis teased as he zigzagged in the air away from the millipede.

I raised my hand again, sticking up a specific finger. This one wasn't a signal.

*few in the crowd chuckles* (isn't that monster blind?) *a few in the crowd thinks at Grey's childish behaviour during an intense fight*

The gears in my brain spun as I refilled my (aether) core with the excre—crystals lying about. With the development in my (aether) core, I was technically able to use Gauntlet Form three times, but Regis hadn't been able to strengthen himself enough to withstand the burden of three uses.

This was why we decided to test the beast's defenses without having to resort to using Gauntlet Form.

I continued to try and search for weaknesses while Regis frantically avoided the millipede's snapping jaws. Even after I had managed to break off two more of its countless legs and struck at the open wound where the legs attached to its body, it didn't seem to have done any sort of lasting damage.

If anything, I seemed to have made it angrier.

While my supply of (aether) was abundant thanks to the crystals hoarded in this cavern, my stamina was slowly diminishing.

Arian: *watches the screen and questions, without looking at Grey* "Now I see why you were so confident in taking on the beast. But what would you have done if there were no crystals to feed on?"