George - Sad Birds Still Sing

Sad birds still sing.

Belle had to constantly remind herself of that. If sad birds could keep singing even when sad then she could keep moving along although she was sad. Sometimes she gave herself a moment to relish in that sadness but she wasn't willing to let herself linger in the sadness.

Geroge had left only three months ago. Yes, Belle was happy his visa had finally gotten approved yet she felt like he was drifting away from her ever so slowly. It was during those times she relished in her sadness that the thoughts of him finding someone new.

The pair had been dating for a year and a half before he left for Florida. She had intended to go with him but it seemed it wasn't in the cards. Nothing was going right for the couple to allow them to be in the same country, it was taking a toll on Belle.

When George first told her he was applying for a visa to move to Florida he phrased it in what could have been the worst way possible. It was only four months into their relationship and it felt devastating.

He started with "Belle! Can we talk?" which already put the girl on edge.

That was followed up by "I want to move to Florida, to live with Nick and Dream."

Belle remembered how lost she felt as soon as he said that. Was this his way of breaking up with her? If so it was stupid. They had only told each other they loved the other a few weeks before George wanted to move, so she decided to get it over with if that was the case.

"Is that your way of breaking up with me?"

"What? No? I just wanted to know how you felt about it."

"Oh, well I want you to go, that's what would make you happy."

She loved the boy, could you really blame her? The way he phrased the question told her that he was leaving, she was staying. They could discuss the long distance later. As long as George was happy, she was happy.

It wasn't until a month later when George mentioned that he had filed for his visa and was wondering where Belle was that she runderstood he had not properly communicated what he wanted to happen here.

"What do you mean? You told me you were leaving. I wasn't of the understanding that extended to me."

"What? I wanted you to come, that's why I asked."

That night was very clear in Belle's mind, it ended in many tears and the contacting of someone who could help Belle start looking into joining George in his move to America. It changed the way they communicated, now they were much more forthcoming with all the information and feelings they wanted the other to understand.

Visa's sucked though. Georges got approved eventually but Belle's did not. Belle was not a fancy streamer with a large and reliable income, Belle was a school teacher. There was no way to guarantee a job out there and that added with her having very little fall back savings things were not going well. Her student debt was not adding to her case either.

George had offered to stay like the good boyfriend he was but Belle immediately declined. He should live out his life with his best friends, she wouldn't hold them back from that. They still called everyday and texted whenever they could. In fact the only change she really felt was going to bed at night.

***

Around the 5 month mark of their relationship they had started sleeping in the same bed on most nights and now that George had left it felt weird to be without him. She tried to only allow those feelings to come though in the moments she relished in the misery.