Chapter 3

Blair walked in complete silence for the first time since the helicopter had crashed

Blair walked in complete silence for the first time since the helicopter had crashed. She didn't know what to say, what to do. As far as she could tell, only Rick and the others had seen her without her mask, but that didn't exactly make it any better. Rick knowing who she was was basically like telling Waller herself. It wasn't great. She'd fucked up.

Rick glanced over at her, "I didn't get to tell you thank you earlier."

She raised an eyebrow, "For what?"

"Saving my ass."

"Harley and Edwards did most of the work." Blair shrugged. "I just fired the last shot."

"So," He tapped his fingers on the gun in his hands. "You're Blair Wilde, huh?"

"In the flesh." She grimaced, shaking her head. "I don't know why I just said that."

Rick fought the urge to laugh at her disgusted look. It was amusing, given everything they had just witnessed, everything they had just done, somehow a phrase is what got her scrunching up her nose in disgust and lowering her eyes in embarrassment. It was like the minute her mask had come off, she had become more... real.

"How does a rich socialite become a crime fighting vigilante with military grade training?" He asked with genuine curiosity. 

Blair tugged at one of the straps on her suit, wishing she hadn't left her cloak lying in the middle of the street, "When the rich socialite watched Two-Face murder her parents in front of her when she was only twelve years old."

"Shit," He swore, suddenly feeling like an asshole. "I'm sorry—"

"Don't be." She stopped him before he could start to pity her. "It was fifteen years ago." Fifteen years worth of nightmares and pain, but he did not need to know that. She glanced down at her boots, kicking a rock down the street. "I'm making the choice to trust you, Flag." She said finally. It was all she could do now; trust her partner to have her back. "Full transparency here. Don't make me regret it."

"You won't." Rick promised.

Blair was surprised to find that she believed him. She wasn't sure why, but she did. However, that didn't matter. She had slipped up, one tiny oversight, choosing not to touch up the paint on her eyes before she left, and now she had to deal with whatever Bruce was going to have to say when she got home. Either way, she couldn't change what had happened... not ethically anyway.

"You know who I am now," She sighed. "No one else was supposed to know."

He tilted his head, "But the two criminals bringing up the rear knew."