Chapter 14

"It's just weird. And convenient." Ella replied.

"I guess..." I murmured.

"GET ME OUT OF HERE!!!!!!" Hillament yelled, trying to swim to the edge.

"Sorry, but no. We can't trust you." I answered, walking away.

"HEY! DON'T LEAVE ME HERE!!!" he screamed, trying even harder to climb out.

"Sorry Hill, but I've gotta go. My client is waiting."

[NOTE: This is now a few minutes later]

I soared away, intending to get to the palace where the prince was waiting.

In other words, my brother, Spark, was waiting for me to kill someone for him.

Yeah, I'm an assassin. So what? It's a well-paying job!

Anyway, when I reached the palace, I saw my brother pacing impatiently on the balcony of his bedroom.

"You're late." he accused, walking over to me and crossing his arms.

"Yeah, yeah, I know. I managed to capture Hillament Starson, though he's currently swimming in a quicksand pit. Anyone who tries to help him out will end up falling in. You're welcome, by the way." I replied, barging into his room and flopping onto one of the many overstuffed couches.

"Ugh. Why him?"

"Because he was there and you want him in the Moon Prison."

"I suppose so. What do you have to report?"

"Didn't I just do that?"

"Maybe. But that was not about your mission. Now tell me. Is the daughter of Jenin dead yet?"

"Which one?"

"Hang on. There's two?"

"Uh, duh. Eliza and Jerranas."

"Eliza's the one I want dead, but you can kill Jerranas. I'll add another twenty percent to your fee."

"Thirty percent."

"Twenty."

"Fourty."

"Twenty-five."

"Twenty-seven."

"Done."

I sat back in the couch, satisfied.

"So, has anything happened since I was last here?"

"Not really. Well, Ostillis got married, but that's not really anything new."

"Wait. Ostillis got married AGAIN??? Isn't that her twelfth husband?"

"No, it's her seventeenth. You haven't been here for a while. I normally go and meet you in the city square." Spark replied, walking into the room and sitting down next to me.

"Okay.Wasn't expecting her to have married five more times!" I laughed, and started twirling a throwing knife in my hand.

"Okay. So. WHY IS ELIZA NOT DEAD YET?!?"

"Hey! It takes a while to kill someone properly! She's avoided at least nine of my attempts already! Even the quicksand pit!"

"Okay. She's still alive. So get out there and kill her!"

I groaned and stood.

"So how would you like me to do it, your highness?" I asked, bowing mockingly.

"I don't care. As long as it's painful. And maybe slow."

"Oh, you might be pleased to know that Jenin is dead for real!" I added, soaring out the door.

I flew out over the city, and aimed myself at my house, readying the dagger.

When I landed, I saw that Quilla, Jerranas, Ithyas, and Ubeck had all fallen into the pit of quicksand. Eliza was pacing frantically around it, trying to think of a way to get them out.

I threw the knife, aiming directly at the base of Eliza's throat.

It hit its mark with a gurgle and a spurt of blood, and sank in up to the hilt.

I laughed, and flew off, not even checking if she was dead.

Because, after all, no-one can survive a wound like that!

Right?

I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about the long absence. Reload the page a couple of times, because I'm doing a two-in-a-day thing as an apology.  Comment on any spelling mistakes please!

~SCK