Chapter Nine

Six Months Later, April 2010

"How are you feeling today, Stella?" Mr Jonas asked and leaned forward in his chair. "Good. I feel great today." Mr Jonas smiles and nods, "I can see that you light up this room with that energy. Do you want to share the reason behind it?" "Yes. It finally clicked the other day that I decide what I want to feel, not anyone else. My own feelings counts and no one can tell me what to feel and whether that is correct or not. The work I put in reflects back to me. I can finally see that I am learning to slowly forgive the people who have hurt me in the past to free myself from the pain their actions caused me to feel in the present. The group circles have really helped me cope with my addiction as well, and it feels reassuring to relate to the other patients. While we may have different histories, we all share similar experiences. We can relate to the feelings it causes us." Mr Jonas nods, smiling. "This is excellent progress, Stella. You are the only one who knows what you feel, and you have really learned how to express those feelings these past months. Forgiveness is an essential key to moving further. We must remember that we aren't our actions; we are responsible for our actions. I am happy to hear that you like the circles. We who work here believe in working together in a group and sharing our stories of past life experiences to learn that we aren't alone on this journey. We can all come from different upbringings but share a similar journey emotionally." "Precisely. I think that is why I like it so much. It feels so raw and relatable to listen to others stories. I have also come to turn to that I have to cut the ties with my past so that I can start over after I am done here." I felt a little knot in my stomach when I said that last sentence. I know I had to cut the ties, but those ties meant Liam too. To start over again and give me a new chance was something I needed to do for myself, which meant that Liam and I could not stay in contact anymore. I am so grateful for everything he has done for me, but I had to go through this without relying on him. Mr Jonas nodded again, "That is a wise choice, but a hard one. Do you know what you wanna do when you are done here?" I smiled and nodded. "Yes. I want to finish high school and then study to become a substance abuse therapist."