Chapter 5

He wears a Peacekeeper outfit, a black scarf that covers his mouth, and a hat, but I could never mistake my best friend. "Gale..." I whisper. I cling on to him for dear life, and he holds me against him. My knees give out and I rely solely on Gale to keep me standing. "Oh, Gale..." I whisper, tears spilling down my cheeks. "Katniss, we're here. We're going to get you out," Gale says gently. I look back and spot the 'we'. It's about 6 people behind Gale. I vaguely recognize one of the unfamiliar men. One of them holds Johanna, and another is in Darius's cell. "Kill him," I plead. Everybody stares at me, "Kill Soldier Hawthorne?" asks a man. "No," I say. "Darius...kill Darius." I point to Darius's body. "Pl-e..." Darius begins, but he moans in pain. "...ease."
It's undeniable to all of us that he can't go on.
A big man pulls out a gun from his holster. I cover my ears and see Johanna do the same. We receive several pitiful glances as result.
I think it's over, so I unplug my ears and near Darius's body, terrified of what I may see, because I've seen his torture and the pile of ragged flesh and blood he was reduced to.

I peel myself away from Gale and near Darius's cell. The man is in front of me and I can't see. "Excuse me," I say hoarsely. The man exchanges glances with the squad. I stare at him dead in the eye and repeat, "Excuse me." He shuffles aside. I hesitate and glance back at Johanna. She's watching me intently. Then, I look at Gale. Our eyes meet, and he begins to walk toward me. He stops next to me inside the cell, and for a split second, I'm afraid they'll close it on Gale and me.

I inhale deeply and look down.
I almost throw up right on Darius's dead body. A bloody pulp. Not even Darius anymore. I turn away and step out. Everybody watches me. Right there, under everybody's eyes, I wretch onto my bare feet and collapse.
——————————————————————————————————————————————
I wake up in a field, with soft, tall grass shooting up inches above my head. I push through the overgrowth. 

Above me, a mockingjay sings Rue's melody. Prim's pink ribbon floats down from the sky. I continue to force my way through the grass.

The world begins to spin. When I spot my father's leather jacket, the soft grass becomes prickly and the world spirals into a giant whirlwind. Hundreds of ribbons blow past me. Mockingjays sway in the wind, their voices drowned out by the raging winds. Coal dust materializes from the air, spinning with the whirlwind. 

I hear all their voices, all mushed together.

"Katniss."
"Katniss."

"Katniss!"

----------------------------------------------------------

My eyes snap open, expecting to see Gale. Instead, I am met by Haymitch. "Haymitch?" I say. "Where did you come from?" "So you are alive," Haymitch says. "Yep," I mumble. "I thought you'd be too weak for a body," says Haymitch. "Do you even know who it was?" I snap. "Why don't you tell me?" Haymitch beckons. "It was Darius," I reply. 

Haymitch shuts up leaves the room, "Luck, Sweetheart."
What do I even need luck for anymore?

I don't know until Gale steps into the room and explains everything.