Chapter 4: A Dogfight In The Void

The two halves of one's soul converge in the mirror of night.

Maintaining the highest level of self-control, Corviknight performs a lightning-quick somersault, turning the tide against the bogeys that trailed him. The cadets brace with all their might, gripping the blades of their commander's tail like molten metal.

"I am in position. Prepare to fire!"

Sobble, Grookey, and Scorbunny set their sights towards their targets, charging their next round of projectiles for launch. Just before opening fire, however, the two Amartoloí become four. Then eight. Then sixteen.

"What the hell!? The enemies are multiplying!?"

"Don't lose focus, Grookey! Just shoot!"

Pushed by Scorbunny's desperation, Grookey fires a reloaded Bullet Seed barrage at a suboptimal pace, allowing the Amartoloí to easily break formation and surround the small squadron.

"Damn it! I did not predict the enemies to propagate in such a manner..."

"There's no way this is the end! We have to take them all down! NOW!"

"It's only four against sixteen! Who knows by how much they continue to split into!?"

"Could Commander Talonflame boost into the Cell?"

Sobble quickly glances at the ever-decreasing entrance portal, dimming its bright light with every second passing by.

"The portal's being closed off, but I think there's a chance. All it takes is one audible signal..."

"Allow me to perform the task. This radio should have the frequency to transmit sound from within this vicinity. That is my hope, at least."

"In that case, we'll keep them at bay. Come on, you boys!"

Scorbunny's steadfast, firm sense of leadership locks her peers' focus, maintaining direct course of their task. Bullet Seeds intertwine with Ember pellets and Bubble Beam streams, striking each of their targets one by one. With every threat neutralization, however, comes a new wave of insurgents.

"I will now activate the signal. Eliminate every threat you see!"

A resounding frequency of 10-4's circles his blade-like ears as Corviknight nudges his beak on his upper chest to reveal a hidden emergency button. Facing the newly respawned Amartoloí in a cold, solemn demeanor, he pecks the device. Closing his eyes for a brief moment, he makes his plea.

"Please... allow her to heed my cry..."

With this prayer in place, the commander proceeds to engage against the new wave.

Outside the entrance of the Vortex Cell, Talonflame glides past enemy squadrons at top speed, barrel-rolling away from major damage. Yet, the constant regeneration of Amartoloí waves causes fatigue to invade her cardiovascular system.

"These bastards are really taking it to me... I gotta get rid of 'em, no matter how tired I get!"