Chapter 8: Burning Soul

"In spite of everyone and everything, we are still here..."- Dafydd Iwan

Taking a few moments to ingrain the ferocious sight of spewing magma within a gargantuan space, the group march onward. In an instant, sweat crawls on top of their bodies, warning them of the new danger summoned in front of them. Milotic, the last of the seven teammates to enter the lake of scorching red, felt this pressure uptick when the doors behind her violently shut.

"What the!? Damn doors!"

"They slammed shut!"

"If this place ain't hardcore then, it is now..."

"I'll say. I feel as though my hair's being glued to my head..."

"You okay there, Pikachu?"

"Hell no..."

"Whoa, even he's feeling the burn! I guess it ain't that surprising, though, given the sheer heat."

"We must proceed carefully, as one false move will cost us all of our resources."

"Hear, hear. We need attacks that counter all this terrain."

"I got Ice Beam in my moveset; wanna let me fire some shots?"

"Go for it."

"Bet. Here goes!"

Slithering her body into position, Milotic builds up intense glacial energy in preparation for a quick, yet important task. Pushing the freezing friction to the limit, she concentrates a ball of glowing ice on her mouth, and blasts away at the pools of magma.

"Wow! Her Ice Beam is certainly different from how the attack is normally used!"

"What makes you say that, Meloetta?"

"A standard Ice Beam is launched as a set of bright white rays of glacial energy. Do you see the difference in Milotic's shot?"

"Her beam does appear to fire organic ice... that shouldn't be accurate..."

"I know, right! She must possess an extraordinary power that Pokémon can only dream of!"

"Let's just hope it seals up all that magma for us."

Maintaining smooth control of her body's intense reaction to the chilling beam of blue and white, Milotic adjusts her aim to guide her power across the massive pool of magma, cooling sections of it down enough to transform the red ponds of death to develop more sections of walkable igneous rock.

"Aight, I got it done. I had to leave small bits of magma so this cave wouldn't be pitch-black. Those new platforms may not last long, though, so we gotta move."

"I don't think that's how it EXACTLY works, but we should march on nonetheless."

"Yo, Pikachu, since you're Electric-type, you mind being our flashlight?"

"Whatever. I'm tired of complaining about it anyway."

"Thanks."

Revving up his cheeks to generate electric currents, Pikachu illuminates his body into a mobile beacon of revelation. Traversing the searing heat by Mawile's side, he leads his teammates onward.

"You guys better not throw the blame on me if you burn yourselves to death."

"Oh, Pikachu, ever so stingy! We're all gonna be okay. You can trust Mommy, darling!"