F i v e

"Hop in," Jarred instructs, leaning against the side of his battered blue Toyota. I stare at him. "You don't seriously expect me to get in that car without knowing where we're going, do you?"

"Oh, yes I do," he replies with a smirk. "And you'll do it. As soon as you've heard what I have to offer."

"And what is that?"

He pops open the shotgun door. "What if I told you that if you get in the car, I will share with you my brilliant plan to kick the pants off everyone else, including Mr. Garcia."

I don't want to admit it, but he's got me tempted. If there's one thing I want, it's to get a good grade on this project. So I climb into the scratched up seat, letting Jarred shut the door behind me.

A second later he's scooted in beside me, and he's backing out of the school parking lot. "Well?" I prompt him. "What's this genius plan of yours?"

"We're going to a carnival!"

I want to slap him, but I just sit there, dumbfounded. When he starts to laugh my face shifts into a scowl. "You can't be serious."

"Oh, I most definitely am," he confirms. "We're going to a carnival, where we will begin the most epic physics project ever!"

"Care to explain?" Like you promised? I want to add, but it seems somewhat rude, so I don't.

"We're going to work out the physical functions of each and every carnival ride!" Jarred declares, his eyes sparkling.

I don't want to admit it, but he's right. It's definitely original. One-of-a-kind, in fact. He seems to know it, too, based on the way he's sitting straight, a satisfied smile on his lips.

We drive in silence for half an hour, when he finally exclaims, "Here we are!"

Stretched out before us is a huge carnival ground, scattered with rides and game booths. A huge ferris wheel looms above us, and I see a roller coaster stretching behind it. A sign reading Cushing Amusements is stretched between two lamp posts.

Jarred grabs my arm as I get out of the car. He looks almost giddy, smiling wider than I've ever seen him smile. I can't blame him. I haven't been to a carnival since, well... ever. There was something exhilarating about the colorful view mixed together with the smell of corndogs and cotton candy.

Surprisingly, he's come prepared. He pulls out his wallet from the bag slung over his shoulder and hands a fifty dollar bill to the carny standing in the entrance. The carny grins at us. "Have a good time in there, kiddos," he pulls open the gate and we enter, Jarred still latched onto my hand.

"First stop: the roller coaster!" he drags me in the direction of the long track, where the train itself is coming to a stop at the entrance.

"Why are we going on it?" I inquire. "I thought we were only going to look from the side."

"But where would be the fun in that?" Jarred remarks as he steps into the line.

"My eyes flit from the highest point in the roller coaster to the loop smack in the middle and the steep decline right after it. No. Way. My brain is flashing so many warning signs in my head that I feel like I'm gonna barf, but our turn to get on comes before I do, and Jarred pulls me into the seat beside him.

"If I vomit all over you, don't blame me." I warn.

He just laughs.

As the ride starts up the hill to gain momentum, I can feel my stomach jump. I try to calm my jumbled thoughts by scanning my surroundings, the purple tracks and the green train cars. I have to admit, it's really nice here. I should come more often.