BH - S2 E1 || The Neighborhood

~ 'Cause it's too cold. For you here. And now, so let me hold. Both your hands in the holes of my sweater

[TW: ANGST- MENTIONS? OF DRINKING, SMOKING, WEED/DRUG, CHILD ABUSE, SUICIDE THOUGHTS, AND S/H]

FUN CHAPTER :D /j

--+--+--

It'd been a week since Amber moved into Karl's house. Let's rewind a few days before..

[TW MENTIONS OF DRINKING]

"Aubr- er, Amber, what are you packing for?" Amber throws a shirt in her suitcase as her dad stumbles in. 

"Karls. I'm moving." Nothing else is said. 

Mr. Simons walks out and Amber sighs. Her dad had been fairly drunk for a few days since he got here. Both her parents always were gone for hours at a time- during the night when the kids were asleep. Except, Amber. She never slept around her parents. They scared her too much.

[END OF TW]

Six Years Ago. Age: 16. Amber.

[TW DRINKING + SMOKING + CHILD AUBSE.]

- start of flashback -

"Aubrrr-berrr. Tommy, I'm home!" The man stumbles into the small kitchen. I sigh and pull Tommy to my side- making sure to keep him safe. 

A woman- my mom- falls into the house after my dad. Both absolutely wasted. They smelled like smoke and beer. Henry was at his girlfriend's house at the moment- probably getting laid. Tommy, being twelve at the time, had little to no idea of what was happening. 

"Amber, what's mum and dad doing?" They were currently making out on the wall. I tell him they're just tired and it's time for him to go to bed. 

I bring the boy upstairs and tuck him into bed before running back downstairs. By now it's three AM and both parents were just a little soberer than before.   

"What the hell was that? You can't just leave in the middle of the day and come back ten hours later- drunk. It's not good for Tommy and it's even worse for me. Stop." I stare at the two and hop onto the countertop.

"Sweetie I'm sorry. I'll try to stop." I nod at my mom, then turn to my dad. He ignores me and walks over. He slaps me and punches me in the stomach.

I groan and stumbled off the counter. He continues for ten more minutes, my mom just watching...

- end of flashback -

[End of TW]

--+--+--

Current Day. Karl's House.

"Hey Karl, quick question." Karl looked up from his notebook and raised an eyebrow. "Would you maybe wanna do a stakeout with me?"

I laughed as he closed his notebook, shielding it from me. "Sure, when and why though?" 

"Tonight. On my parents. I need to see what they've been doing for the past few years." Karl nodded and flopped down next to me on his bed. "What're you doing, Mr. Jacobs?" 

"Your mom." He giggled and smiled at me. I laughed along with him. For the past few days, we'd mostly been avoiding my parents and listening to music.

~Head in the clouds, but my gravity's centered. Touch my neck, and I'll touch yours. 

Despite my parents yelling at me to stay at Tom's, I didn't care. They never hurt Tommy, so he didn't exactly understand why I'd always kept him in his room when they came home. He didn't mind me moving, since I promised to walk over to his house a lot. 

"What're you thinking about?" 

~Oh, she knows what I think about- and what I think about.

you.

"My parents and Tom. I don't miss my parents, but I miss Tom a bit." I sigh and pull Karl in for a hug. He kisses my forehead and I feel my cheeks heat up. 

~One love, two mouths.

"How about this, I'll take you out on a date before our little stakeout, okay? I know exactly where- and you don't even have to change! You look perfect right now." 

~The goosebumps start to raise.

"Sounds good."

--+--+--

Karls Car.

"So remind me again why I'm wearing this blindfold." I lean against the window and feel the cold glass against my face.

"Well, I don't want you to know where we're going! Also, we're almost there." He turns and I hear the tires squeak. The car comes to a stop followed by a slam of a car door. Mine opens and he pulls off my blindfold, but I don't look around.

He offers me a hand. I accept it and he pulls me out. "You can look around, you know." I take the opportunity as he lets go and opens the trunk to retrieve something. It's a small cliff area clearing. All it had was two trees on a side with a hammock in between and a small bench in the middle. There were railings on the cliff so we couldn't fall. 

Karl came back with a soft blanket and picnic blankets. The car was parked next to the bench, trunk facing the sky. I jumped into the trunk, Karl following. He pushed the seats back and pulled out a picnic basket. 

He pulled out an apple, two subs, and some water bottles. There was more in the basket, but he didn't take them out yet. I checked my watch. 10:14 AM

"Hey, we have six hours, what're you so nervous about? Don't worry about it, just enjoy the moment." Karl wrapped an arm around me and smiled. I nod and start to shiver.

~'Cause it's too cold.... for you here...

He shrugged off his jacket and wrapped it around me. 

~And now, so let me hold... both your hands in the holes of my sweater.

Five Years Ago. Age: 17. Amber

[TW DRINKING + ACCIDENTAL (?) CHILD ABUSE + IMPLICATIONS OF SUICIDE + S/H]

-start of flashback-

Amber's dad threw a cup at her. It shattered, spewing glass everywhere. One shard cut me across the face. She ran upto her room and sighed.  

What if I just...

blood.

-end of flashback-

"You alright, Am?" Karl shook me out of my zone off and hugged me. I nodded and checked the time. 4PM. Two hours before we had to get back. "Do you wanna go shopping?" I nodded again. 

Karl sighed and put everything back into the seat before getting off the trunk. He offered a hand, which I took and hopped off after him... 

TO BE CONTINUED

[A/N: ooo what happens next? does there happen to be someone when they go shopping? first kiss..? who knows]