Prologue: Set the Stage

Scene 1. Salem, a public place

[Enter the Godfather, the current Mafioso, and Casey the Consigliere]

Godfather: The time comes once again, the town is asleep, their beliefs easily meldable by our own paws. We must strike, forcing them to pay. They are too quick with their noose.

Casey: But dad, does our killing not equate or triumph theirs?

Godfather: We kill for a cause.

Casey: So do they.

Godfather: Our cause is greater, and for you my word is law. Now, both of you, go to the seventh house. Investigate and attack. Perhaps I shall send Farris out to plant false evidence, although it won't do much.

Casey: Farris is essentially useless to us.

Godfather: True, but he is my son, and your brother. Now, go out and do as I demand.

[Exit]

Casey: I don't see why he's sending me. If you're killing the guy, I don't see why I have to go along with you.

Mafioso: I think it's to keep me out of trouble.

Casey: Shut the fuck up.

[Enter the Bodyguard]

Bodyguard: Halt! Who comes upon this house tonight?

Mafioso: I do.

Casey: As do I.

Bodyguard: State your business here. Do you come to attack?

Mafioso: Do I say yes?

Casey: No, don't-

Mafioso: Yes, sir, I come to attack!

Bodyguard: Draw your weapons, then. We fight!

Casey: Can I go past? I'm not here to fight. I'm but a humble investigator. Had I known this dog was coming to attack I would have not walked the same path as him.

Bodyguard: Yes, investigator, go quick. I fear he may attack you too. [Turning attention back to Mafioso] You will not harm a single fur, not on the resident of this house nor the visiting investigator.

Mafioso: Then I shall harm all the furs on your head instead! The entire town shall see us both dead.

Bodyguard: En guarde! [They fight, both dying.]

Casey: Well, well, well. The lookout lives here. Perhaps they will find our secrets, I fear. I will report this right away. [They walk outside.] And they're both dead, who would've guessed? Oh well.

[Enter the Godfather]

Godfather: You have done excellently, my child. But where is the mafioso?

Casey: Dad, he's dead. The bodyguard shot him in the head.

Godfather: Ah, it's just as I feared. We will need a replacement.

Casey: Zach is too young.

Godfather: He is only a year younger than you at most.

Casey: Two. While I am an adult, he is still a child. Sixteen is too young.

Godfather: He is bold, and brave. He will make a fine mafioso.

Casey: Very well then. I'm off to bed.

Godfather: As am I.

[Exit]

Scene 2. A small town where Leo lives

[Enter Leo, Riley, Kat, and Lucy]

[They play together.]

Riley: Uh oh, it's getting pretty late.

Lucy: Should we go home?

Leo: Oh, come on, can't we stay out a little bit longer? Please?

Kat: Are you okay, Leo? You always ask to stay out longer and longer each night.

Leo: I just don't wanna go home cause it would mean not getting to see you guys!

Kat: Is it your mom again?

Leo: Yeah, she's been getting worse lately. I don't want Paige to get hurt.

Kat: The rest of us need to go home. If you need us, you can just call.

Leo: I don't want her coming after any of you.

[Exit Riley, Lucy, and Kat]

[Enter Karen, Deodat, and Paige]

Karen: What took you so long?

Leo: I'm sorry Mom, I was out playing with my friends.

Karen: Don't call me Mom. No food for you tonight.

Deodat: Don't you think that's a little bit harsh? He's young.

Karen: He needs to learn to come back earlier. [to Leo] Go to your room.

Leo: Yes Mo- I mean, yes Karen.

Karen: Hmph.

[Exit Karen, Paige, Deodat]

Leo: I wish my mom actually cared about me. [He cries]

[Enter Deodat]

Deodat: Hey kiddo, I know your m- I mean, Karen said that you weren't allowed to eat, but I sneaked you this. [He hands Leo a plate of food.]

Leo: Thanks Dad! [He hugs Deodat.]

Deodat: No problem, kiddo. Get some rest.

[Exit Deodat]

Scene 3. Leo's house

[Enter Paige, Leo, Karen, and Deodat]

[Leo and Paige are watching from behind a corner while their parents argue.]

Karen: I'm sick of you! You're too busy with work to stick around for long, and when you do have time, you're spending it with those useless brats!

Deodat: They are our children, and they need me to take care of them.

Karen: No they do not! You're spoiling them, while I'm teaching them to obey me.

Deodat: You're abusing them, while I'm treating them with respect.

Karen: Out.

Deodat: What?

Karen: Get out. Get out of my house, and never come back.

Leo: Mom?

Karen: How many times must I tell you? I'm not your fucking mother. What do you want?

Leo: Where's Dad going?

Karen: Your father doesn't love you, so he's leaving.

Leo: What?

Karen: That's right. Deodat doesn't like you any more. [To Deodat] Now, get the fuck out.

[Exit Deodat and Karen]

Leo: Dad doesn't really hate us, does he?

Paige: I can't tell. I don't think so, but you never know.