Chapter 6: This Town Without Love

Morgan was dead. Morgan was supposed to be dead. The town was supposed to find him rotting away inside his house.

He was not supposed to be standing angrily in the town square, blood-soaked bandages covering his chest. Cotton had plenty of experience in bullet wounds, the mafia made a grave mistake in not getting rid of the town protectives first. But you can't really blame a teenager for acting irrationally, and he was destined to die anyways.

Leo, of course, had no idea of the mafia's failed plot. However, it wasn't hard to tell. Zach was not being subtle at all, his shocked face and rage gave it away.

"Well, boy do I have a story to tell y'all." Morgan announced, glaring. "I went to th' big house over there to go interrogate young Zach here, next thing I know he's pulled out a gun an' shot me!"

The town's shocked gasps and whispers filled the air. "I only survived thanks to the good doctor, thank ya Cotton." Cotton only nodded solemnly, staying silent.

"An'- And! That's not all." Zach clearly wasn't expecting Morgan to confuse him further, growling louder. "When I asked 'im about the rumors with Leo, he denied it, but I could tell. Oh, I could tell."

Sarah looked at Leo, emotion in her eyes. He couldn't exactly tell what it was. Pity, fear, sadness maybe. She was acting like he betrayed her somehow, like she was entitled to him. I'm not automatically gonna like her romantically if she's nice to me. I prefer guys, and if this town can't see that as okay...

"You know what?" Zach yowled. "You're stupid, all of you. There's nothing wrong with me having a boyfriend! And you-" He pointed at Morgan as he tugged Leo close. "You're nothing but a traitor. You ever think about how fucked up it is that you guys think hanging people is okay?"

Mayor just looked at Leo sadly. "I personally believe there is nothing wrong with Zach and Leo being together-" The town gasped again. "-but if Zach is part of the Mafia, he is guilty of attempted murder and murder." The gasps turned to angry shouts.

"Here, why don't I just do you all a favor..." Zach hissed as he walked up onto the stand. "Go ahead, vote guilty." He turned to Leo, letting his lover see tears in his eyes. "I'm destined to die anyways." Only Leo could hear.

It was surreal, seeing the one he loved most about to die. I should've listened to Paige, I shouldn't have come to this town, I should've ran away with Zach while I had the chance- But Leo couldn't do anything now, except watch as most of the town voted guilty.

Crystal, Casey, and the rest of the family couldn't bring themselves to vote guilty, even if it would draw suspicion. "He's just a kid- please-" Crystal sobbed. It was the most upset Leo had ever seen her.

The townspeople didn't care. Morgan seemed eager, Sarah was angry, and Mayor and Cotton stared with blank faces as they cast their vote.

"Zach, the town has decided..." Mayor called as he counted the votes. Leo held his breath, would Zach live after all?

"You are guilty."

Zach said nothing as they brought out the stool, not paying attention to the rope in front of his face until he was forced to wrap it around his own neck. "No, NO!" Leo ran up, taking Zach's face in his hands one last time, giving him one last kiss.

His lover smiled, finally letting the tears fall. "Thus with a kiss I die." He whispered, stepping off the stool himself and falling limp in Leo's arms.

Romeo dies first.

"Leave him there! We'll get him tomorrow, and deal with the others who voted innocent later too!" Someone called. Leo just stood there, sobbing. Crystal and Casey came over to try and comfort him, while the other mafia kids grieved for their brother they lost.