Prologue

This day came. The day, when this man gave me permission to leave the White Room. The day, when I can finally see the world outside in almost its entirety. With these thoughts, I drove to my new high school.

Kodo Ikusei is a prestigious high school with the most modern facilities you can imagine. Virtually every one of its graduates has no problem going to college, university, or finding a job. According to this man, this school is my last exam before I can become a full-fledged masterpiece in his eyes and, afterwards, the ruler of Japan. But to be honest, I didn't really care about that right now, because I was looking forward to my future three years of relative freedom. Relative freedom, because I still had one condition for staying in this school without a care in the world. And that was to never hold back and give it my all.

* * *

About two months ago, this man approached me. His figure might have caused the untrained individual to fear for his life, but I had nothing to fear. After all, when I met him, my survival rate up to that moment was, and still is, 100%.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in what he had to say, but it probably wouldn't matter too much to me. After all, every time his mouth opens in my presence, all I can hear is something like, "Try harder, Kiyotaka."; "Use all your strength, Kiyotaka."; "Kill/kill him/her, Kiyotaka. Anyway, nothing interesting.

«Kiyotaka, I want you to pass your final exam. Judging by your present abilities, you would pass any test involving physical or academic exertion perfectly, but there is another very important aspect of any modern person's life. That aspect is social life. But the White Room does not provide for this kind of skill training. Not yet. So that's what you're going to learn in your future school. The chairman of the school is an old friend of mine, so you won't have any trouble getting into it.»

The day after this conversation, I was taken to a place where I could never have been before. A long black limousine brought the two of us to the walls of the largest and most influential educational institution in all of Japan.

We quickly passed the large natural stone gates. A light breeze with a slight brackish aftertaste blew right in my face. Is this what they call freedom? The people who live here are really lucky in life. In that place, I couldn't even feel something as simple as a natural breeze blowing.

Anyway, this man and I came here to meet a certain chairman of Sakayanagi, who was apparently one of the people running this amazing place. I could tell that he actually possessed some amount of power of his own, since this man could not even enter the grounds of this institution with his retinue of a bunch of bodyguards.

But even with that fact in mind, the two of us were still let through the school gates, where we followed one of the people working here. After a while we arrived at what you might call the principal's office. Inside we already had a man waiting for us, whom you might call the chairman of the place. This man and the chairman first had a private conversation with each other, after which they invited me to join in their important conversation.

«Good afternoon, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, it's a pleasure to meet you. I've already heard about your abilities from your father. I also know the reason why your father wants to enroll you in this school. I don't mind your enrollment, but you still have to write this test and talk to me a little bit.»

«Why?»

«If someone tries to find out how many points you scored on your written and oral exams, they will have no reason to think your enrollment is dishonest. This could cause unnecessary problems.»