Volume 2 Chapter 4: The Ties of Student Council

Happiness is not in another place, but in this place... not for another hour, but in this hour.
Walt Whitman

The closer I got to the student council, the more I felt an uncomfortable feeling of discomfort pressing in on me. It was as if I were getting closer and closer to the sun, which only heated me up more and more. Of course, you can't just walk up to the sun, but figuratively speaking, that's what I was doing.

I still didn't understand the point of going there, because I hadn't done anything illegal or unlawful in that school yet... well, almost. well, almost... But I was sure that nothing had been seen in my and Kamura's shopping trips; I had checked and rechecked everything thoroughly.

Soon the doors of the student council office appeared in front of me. Very large and dark, clearly made of a fine grade of wood. This sort of thing reminded me more of the situation from TV shows when you find yourself in front of your boss's office and you have to work up the courage to go inside. I also had a question in my heart as to why they had chosen these particular doors.

Still, I opened both of them with one sharp movement, after which I saw a slightly surprised look from some blond guy sitting behind the President's seat, who was apparently absent at the moment.

«I was told they wanted to see me in the student council office. Is there something you need?»

«Whoa, easy there, man. And you're pretty brave for a freshman in Class D, you know?»

Just five seconds ago he had a look of surprise on his face, but it had already been replaced by a smug smile. Although in that respect, this strange-looking man was inferior to Sakayanagi. If her smile inspired fear and dread, this one only disgusted and disliked him.

«Sempai, let's get straight to the point. Why am I here?»

Could Kamuro have confessed? No, she couldn't. If she did, she'd probably have been expelled or at least summoned here with me. Especially since there was only one person I didn't know. His nature only told me that he was probably very narcissistic. Koenji version 2.0?

«Oh, don't be in such a hurry. We have plenty of time. Want me to buy you a drink?»

His demeanor and speech suggest that dealing with him is a bad prospect. Besides, if my eyes don't deceive me, he's trying to offer me some obscure food that resembles treats. I'd rather eat ear candy from the Hogwarts Express than this.

«I'll decline.»

«Suit yourself.»

After my answer, he took something from the table and then laid down in a chair with his feet on the table. I'd say this guy looked a lot like Koenji right now, only more communicative. Maybe it was a clone of him or something.

Though it's more likely that the clone is Koenji himself, since he's a year younger. Or does this sempai have genetically accelerated growth? Even though tales of cloning may seem unrealistic, but since there is such an institution as the White Room in this world, anything is probably possible.

«So, Ayanokoji, Ichinose came to see me not long ago. You probably know who that is, so I won't talk about her identity. Anyway, she came to me with a request that I just couldn't refuse. And you know what it was?»

Well, here's the thing. Honestly, I find it hard to believe that the same Ichinose I was talking to earlier is now so eager to get revenge. I wonder if it's because I ruined her dream back at the beginning of the school year. Would this have happened if I had taken B class later?

There was a chance that by then she might be able to get stronger and withstand this kind of pressure, but there was no point in me waiting. I was pursuing my own goals at this school, nothing else mattered.