Volume 1 Chapter 7: The Position of Supremacy

Freedom is first and foremost a duty, not a privilege.
Albert Camus

The next day, during unplanned class time, Chabashira-sensei announced what each of us already knew.

«I have something to tell you. There has been some incident recently. Sudo Kyung and Miyake Akito from your class, along with a student from Class B, Kanzaki Ryuji, became involved in hand-to-hand combat, which is forbidden by the rules on school grounds.»

Even though each of my classmates already knew about it, it still got pretty rowdy in class. Idiots like Ike, Yamauchi, Hondo, and Shinohara wouldn't shut up and yelled like they were a bunch of stupid purebred dogs barking at anything that moved.

«Depending on how the school's investigation into the matter concludes, Sudo and Miyake or Kanzaki could be suspended or expelled from the school. In that case, the "loser" class would incur a certain punishment.»

Sensei then fully described the situation to the class. With all that, she told it with such an unconcerned expression on her face that I even admired it. It was a rather neutral view of the situation, as far as such a thing is even possible. That is, apparently, as a teacher she could not show any affection even for her own class, or she simply did not want to associate herself with the defects of society.

«And how soon will this case be dealt with?»

Hirata raised his hand and asked the obvious question. No one wanted a mess like this to drag on and cause future problems for both the accused students and both classes as a whole.

«The complaint came from Class D. According to Miyake and Sudo, they were beaten. But when we asked the B-grade student about it, he claimed otherwise. He said that the D class students had deliberately provoked him to fight. Also, the other teachers told about this incident in their classes in order to identify witnesses.»

When I looked at the two in question, I noticed how well bandaged they were. Sudo and Miyake looked as if they had been through the Afghan war. It looks pretty natural, nice work. And the news about the bystanders wasn't that important to me. I made sure that no one accidentally walked by.

«At the moment the situation is under review. The plan is to find out which side lied.»

Many had their doubts, but, thank Eris, everyone kept their mouths shut. I don't know what I would have had to do with anyone who blabbed.

«Well, that's it for now. Nothing is certain yet, but the final decision will be announced next Wednesday, depending on how the trial goes on Monday of that week. I advise you to find evidence by that deadline, and don't forget to prepare for your semester exam. That concludes today's class hour.»

Chabashira-sensei left the classroom. Then several people like Hirata, Sudo, Miyake, and even Kushida came up to me at once.

«Ayanokoji, tell me, is everything going as it should?»

Hirata was the first to start asking me that, but Sudo and Miyake were also looking at me for exactly the same reason. I have no idea why Kushida came, but it was more like she did it for her image.

«You don't have to worry about that; I've already thought of everything. And any surprises I'm likely to be able to "extract" from this proceeding through outside intervention.»

«I'm glad to hear that.»

There was a slight but forced smile on his face. I didn't quite understand what was bothering this seemingly kind guy so much. Maybe he wanted to avoid a certain punishment for the class if we lost, or he didn't want to see our classmates expelled from school. It's not so easy for me to understand him.