Night terrors

Summary: Bucky gets a bad nightmare and goes to Sam for comfort. Established relationship.

~~~

Bucky jerked awake from his slumber; gasping, sweating, trembling with fear and rage. He wrapped his arms around himself, the feeling of helplessness and vulnerability engulfing him. All these nightmares about his past, about his time with Hydra made him sick and tired, made him feel so scared and frustrated. Even though during every session his therapist would ask him about the night terrors he couldn't tell her, he just.... Didn't feel safe enough.

He thought about it, telling his boyfriend, Sam about these stuffs. He knew Sam could help. He worked with and still sometimes works with soldiers who have gone through intense amount of traumatic experiences. Bucky really wants to talk to Sam about it, but he just cannot get rid of the irrational fear that Sam might find it tiresome. Maybe after some time, he would leave him for someone less damaged, someone less scary.

But tonight his fears couldn't keep him stuck in his room anymore. Minutes after minutes kept passing, and Bucky found himself going to the bathroom to take a quick shower, as if to wash way his bad dreams and pain. Also to get rid of sweat before he goes to Sam's room and demands cuddles for the rest of night.

~~~

Even though they have been dating for three months and staying in the same house for eight months by now, Sam and Bucky still slept in their own, separate rooms. Bucky never said no to cuddles but he still seemed hesitant enough to sleep in the same bed with someone else, no matter who it was. Hydra ruined his ability to fully trust someone. Sam worked hard to gain that trust back. No matter how long it took, he decided to wait for Bucky to come him in his own accords, instead of making him sleep together. Pressuring Bucky is something Sam wouldn't even dream about.

But every night he wished to hold the super soldier close to his chest, sing him calming songs and help him get through the night, sleeping soundly without any haunting dreams. Even though Sam wished this would happen, part of him knew they had go a long way to reach that point. So when he was awakened by Bucky, who looked so scared and embarrassed, standing by his bed, Sam was pleasantly surprised.

"Hey baby, is everything alright?" Sam jumped up from his laying position and gestured towards Bucky to sit down. He wanted to wrap his arms around his partner so bad, but he knew Bucky might not feel safe with physical contact. So he controlled his arms from reaching out and pulling his boyfriend in a hug.

"No..." Bucky whispered, eyes cast down, fingers fiddling with the hem of his t-shirt. "I....I had those.... nightmares....and I just couldn't stay alone anymore."

If Bucky's vulnerable face didn't break Sam's heart by now, his confession surely broke it into a million pieces.

"Can I please.... Sleep with you, tonight?" Finally looking up, Bucky stared into Sam's eyes, his own bright blue ones glistening with unshed tears. Hiding his pain, fear, rage, sorrow all the time- he had enough of that.

"Baby, you can sleep here anytime you want, anytime you need. If you want me to go to your room and sleep there, we can do that too, yeah?" Sam spoke softly while placing his hand on Bucky's metal arm carefully, as if he was trying to reach out to a skittish kitten.

"Um... Wanna sleep with you, here... Your room is cozier than mine," Bucky admitted, his face heating up a little. In the moonlight that came into the room through the window along with a faint glow of table lamp right by Sam's bed, Bucky looked so pretty, so beautiful, so broken.

Sam couldn't take it anymore, he opened his arms and whispered,
'May I?' Asking for permission to give Bucky a long deserved hug. The super soldier nodded frantically and practically threw himself in his lover's arms, tucked his face in his neck, taking in his calming scent.

"I'm here baby, I'm here. Please come to me whenever you need, because if I can't hold you in my arms when you need me the most, what's the point of dating?" Sam spoke softly, as if he was talking with an injured bird. Running his hands through Bucky's long, chestnut locks, he pulled away a little. Sam kissed Bucky's forehead, both of his eyes, his cheecks and finally placed a sweet kiss in the corner of his mouth... And then gave him another smooch on the tip of his nose, making him giggle.

"Come on, I'll hold you close while you sleep, my baby. You must be so tired, my brave pup." Sam cooed, pulling Bucky on the bed in a laying position.

"Heyy... I'm not a pup.." Bucky whined weakly in Sam's neck.

"You are the white wolf, and you are like a little puppy to me. So cute," Sam kissed Bucky's nose again, making him crunch it adorably.

"Sweet dreams, sweetheart."

"Sweet dreams, birdy."

_____

Hope it's good.

Check out my SamBucky fic, 'Let the sunlight warm your heart' if you want. I'd really appreciate it ☺️

And send me prompts!

Take care 😊