SEVENTH CHAPTER - In the misty mountains cold

Thorin slowly opened his eyes and felt some herbs put on his face and other places where he was injured. He slowly touched them and cleaned his face. He sighed - he was finally feeling good after a long rest. The morning sun was shining into the house and was warming him nicely on his face and the whole body. He looked beside him. There was Eilin, burried in straw, with her fire hair everywhere, sleeping quietly. He smiled. For the first time, he felt like he was not angry at her at all. He was worried and he realised that he started to grow very fond of her. She looked so innocent and fragile - most of the time she looked like a fierce warrior, not a princess, but now... she was lying in a straw, drowned in a morning sunlight, with her long and beautiful hair all around her body, breathing quietly and peacefuly and Thorin realised, she never looked more beautiful than during that particular, early morning, far away from their homes.

He quietly stood up and looked around. He then walked to the huge dining table.

-----

Eilin slowly opened her eyes. She took off the blanket that was laid over her and stood up. She saw Thorin, Gandalf and Beorn sitting at the huge table and chatting. She took pieces of straw out of her hair and braided some streams of it so she would look like a normal person. She greeted with everyone and sat at a huge chair. Beorn gave her a high protein breakfast and she gladly started eating.

"You must go as soon as you can, it's still a long journey thru the Misty mountains. And just on foot." Mumbled Gandalf while he was smoking Old Toby. "Are you sure your grandfather has the ring of power, Thorin?" Asked Gandalf and looked at the dwarf, sitting at the table, lost in thought.

"Yes... I've seen it many times on his finger. He treasures it above all." Said Thorin and looked up at his three companions.

Beorn was packing food and blankets for both of the dwarves, while Gandalf was trying to give them the best advice as how to walk to Rivendell.

"Do you think the road will not be safe, Gandalf?" Asked Eilin and looked a bit worried.

"The road is never safe enough, Eilin, daughter of Edain. But I don't think you should be especially worried, I do not know about any dark forces." He said and looked at the distance. "Yet." He added in a whisper.

"We live in peace for a long period of time, the old evil has been destroyed long ago..." Said Gandalf again.

"What then are those orcs attacks and Azog, searching for rings of power?!" Eilin was deep in thought.

Thorin looked up at Gandalf.

"Some would say that this isn't our concern." Said Thorin and took a sip of his morning tea.

Eilin looked at him and knew it was true. Dwarves lived in their mountain kingdoms and didn't much cooperate or form alliances with elves or men against Middle Earth evil.

"I do not know yet what all of this means, but you are the right ones for this quest, you are young, you are great warriors and future hopes of this world. May the Valar be with you." Said Gandalf and smiled at both of them.

Eilin slowly looked at Thorin, who looked back at her. She didn't know what was he thinking, but she knew that Gandalf was right.

"Thank you, Gandalf." She said and smiled back at him.

Beorn gave them the packages with food and other supplements.

"I will hope for your early return. Your horses will be waiting for you." He said and looked warmly at both of them.

"Thank you." Said Thorin and both of them left Beorn's house. They walked thru a huge gate and Eilin took a last look. There was a wizard in a pointy hat and a huge, hairy man, both looking at her with hope and courage in their eyes. Eilin felt alive, she knew she and Thorin were much needed and after all, she was glad that prince Thorin was travelling with her. She smiled at Beorn and Gandalf and then looked in front of her.