Chapter 5: To Chase... Rebellion

The Nether - a prison, they thought; but instead a place of meticulous plotting, planning and scheming behind closed portals for ten long years, awaiting actions to come of a single, painful decade

But united as it once was, the Nether was not. The Knights may be Tygren's problem, but Pythus had someone else in his sights

Author's note: that horrible moment when you are in the middle of uploading the chapter, sat comfortably, and then you go to load the chapter illustration and remember that your co-writers had rearranged the chapter order, leaving you without an illustration, and you very hastily grab your drawing tablet and draw the first thing that you see on the page. all I can say is... *thank fuck it was something simple* XD

also yes, we finally satisfy those who were asking about the Nether arc relevance in the prequel. don't hate me for the direction we took it XD

*****************

Deep in the confines of the Nether, schemes and plots had been on the war table for a decade, added to every passing Overworld day as meticulous thoughts fuelled the movements of two powers since the return of the Deathsinger into Ardonia on that day 154 years after the Great War; but when nothing came of it as one had expected, the other took control, watching the very entity that threatened the existence of the Ardoni waiver under the emotional weight of his deeds and crumble under the pressure of his own doubts and shadowed actions. He watched the Deathsinger weaken evermore as he delayed in his acts to reclaim the Prime Songs – even when he had a lead... Even when he had the chance.

But that was ten years ago, and Tygren had his arse covered every step of the way, sneaking around behind his back, stunting his Master's progression, sowing the seeds of doubt into his already crumbling mind all the while he grew in strength... It was almost as though Tygren was feeding off the former Deathsinger's once great power and tenacity to grow into his own. He had made that decision when Ingressus would not reforge his alliance with the Nether – a foolish one if ever he heard it. How could the mighty Deathsinger pertain to win another war alone when he had lost the last one with an alliance?

Of course, Tygren knew then that the alliance had fallen partial to both the Tidesinger's efforts and King Chronos' retreat – another foolish decision. When he came to the Nether of his own volition to make the alliance himself, seeing Pythus atop the throne in honour brought him to his knees in awe of the power the new Nether king exhibited, and he need not plead to him for his share in power, but instead respond only with what he had seen with his very eyes – a fallen Master, yet to be defeated.

Pythus had blamed Ingressus as much as he did his own father for the loss of the Great War, the loss of the Overworld. He had believed, even though his father had chosen to retreat, that Ingressus' power-hungry crusade was folly and uncoordinated, thus leading to the everlasting catastrophe that transpired – a selfish act, and nothing more. He was unsurprised by the absence of a Voltaris in the opening weeks since the Deathsinger returned, but he was outraged to learn that he had been hiding in a small cubby of his own kingdom the entire time, closed off from the rest of the Nether as previously agreed with King Chronos. He had been sat mere metres from the very Voltaris he despised – and the Tidesinger, whom he hated most, for that matter – and he had not a clue for 154 Overworld years; until Tygren had come to him on the eve that he had killed the Nestoris and warned him of its existence, fearing Ingressus to have it at his disposal should he have attempted to flee the Voltaris lieutenant's wrath when it came to.

It made it all worthwhile when the Knights decided to spare Tygren the mercy of a quick death and instead throw him into that very cubby, believed to be a prison for him, only for Pythus to be present to inspect where Ingressus had laid low for so long.

The Knights had given Tygren the win that day, and he had vowed ever since to make them wish they had killed him when they had the chance.

The new Voltaris boy, especially.