Chapter 20: To Chase... A Disovery

In Ataraxia, Almrak wonders if Jerome trusts Galleous as much as he does, feeling that something may be amiss about the Sendaris blacksmith; but when he spots something unusual trying to cross into the hidden city, Jerome knows then that Galleous is not telling them everything

And that leaves him with little choice...

Author's note: for safeguarding reasons, I am not at liberty to explain why this is a later return than planned. just- let's get back on track with the angst

anyway, new cover!

this is chonky chapter number one. it is longer than the average length we have been writing, but I can assure you, after seeing the completed version of chapter 23, it is *far* from the longest XD

also this is totally not a halfway Almrak redesign because I didn't like the first so much. it's a mirage and you should just go about your day

********************

"Do you really think Galleous will help us?"

"I hope so. He has been nothing but accommodating to us since we rather rudely intruded his space the other day; and he looked awfully flustered upon our arrival. He looks the sort that would kick us out if he really wanted nothing to do with us."

"It's because I'm Senn's brother, isn't it?"

"What do you mean?"

"He was prepared to kill us until he saw my markings. He's not doing anything for us – he's doing it for Senn..."

"You could say the same about us, Almrak. Neither of us can say that we are here for ourselves."

"I just feel like he's hiding something. Senn never told us that he was... Thalleous Sendaris' brother... What makes him so different? Thalleous helped Senn before it all turned out to be lies, Ky'Jerome..."

"There may be nothing that makes him so different. He may be exactly the same – we do not know; but for now, we have no other choice but to trust him. Master Senn says that Galleous is not like Thalleous. I am more inclined to trust his judgement than the man himself, and if Master Senn says he is trustworthy, I shall take it."

"Then I will take it with you, but I will be inspecting every word he says, every move he makes. This is my brother that we're talking about. I already lost... Delthaeus..."

"I know."

The two Voltaris sat atop the steps mounting the hillside basking in the late evening sun as it slowly set, shining brightly along the Guardians' river below. They had been stifled out of Galleous' workshop with the old Sendaris' flustering about what to do regarding Senn who, unbeknownst to Jerome and Almrak, was once captive of the Nether. They could tell that something was gravely bothering the old man as he trod lightly with his words, picking them very carefully, and stuttering and stammering upon being asked very sudden and revealing questions. He wanted them to trust him as much as they did, but he knew that all the while he could not tell them that Senn was already lost to the Nether – in Tygren's hands – he couldn't relax; and his tension and apprehension was wearing them all down.

But out on the hillside, the two Voltaris could relax somewhat. They could sit outside on the grass – far away from the cold of snow, and ice of stone walls – free of their disguises and not be questioned. To them, new and unfound, Ataraxia lived up to its name. Many other Ardoni had passed by them on their way up to the mountains and, upon taking a second glance at the red markings of a clan once exiled and monstrous, seeing that they meant no harm in gazing out to the sky, they were otherwise ignored, and not a word was uttered about them. This is how it should be, they both thought, believing that the Voltaris had been wronged one too many times for something that no-one could any longer remember. They were pleased that there was still some good in a world filled with strife.