Chapter 28: To Chase... The Maelstrom

The Knights discover who went missing in the middle of the night and they follow the steps that they believe he took - or were forced to take - leaving Jerome alone with Vulcannus

On Mt Velgrin, familiar feels hit, and on their quest to find their missing member, they find someone else instead

Author's note: I apologise in advance for my first - and prolly only - attempt at drawing a Magnorite, and sorry for my and Alli's silly headcanon that Magnorites don't have fingers XD

*******************

"WHERE IS SENN?!"

The furious echo from the Nestoris Ardoni shook the other Knights awake from their huddled slumber in the corner of the blacksmith ruins, and shortly after, Alec and Kiyoshi rushed in to see what had happened after hearing only the raucous fury fly as a wordless warning.

Hubris stood with his fists clenched to whiteness as he stared at where he and Senn had taken up camp together as the night set in. It took the Knights collectively to assure Senn enough to reanimate him into action, each hoping that their words of comfort, of encouragement, of promise would bring him around from the depths of despair that he had wedged himself under following that days' news and events. No-one could blame him, but they did everything in their power to ensure that he did nothing irrational at least until they had a lead to follow or news from which to pick up their search. Between Senn and Hubris, it was their agreement that they alternated sentry duty, taking it in turns to keep watch of the centre of the city while the Felina stood guard of the cliffsides, watching the ravines and the mountain passes; and yet, Hubris was allowed to fall into an unnaturally deep sleep – somehow surrounded by Supporium particles – and Senn was nowhere to be found.

He furiously paced around, arms rock rigid and unmoving, looking as though he would be willing to swing his fist at the nearest person once again.

And he did.

Kiyoshi had barely walked into the ruins to meet with the panicked Ardoni, and he saw the distress in his eyes. He paused to open his mouth seeking clarification as to what had happened, and he had no time to even think of his words before Hubris whirled around to return the gaze ignited by fury, and he stormed over to the Felina captain, his wrist drawn back for the blow. He struck Kiyoshi around the jaw, and he panted, heated and intense, each breath fire as it continued to angrily brush against Kiyoshi's stunned face.

"You bastard!" he shouted, still mere inches from the Felina.

Alec charged at Hubris to defend his captain, offended that their ally would strike him so needlessly and with such prevalent force without what seemed to be warrant. He yelled at the Ardoni incoherently, reaching for his dagger holstered to the side of his belt, but he was caught by Onyx as he grabbed the human from behind to stop him from stabbing the KoA leader. Alec struggled furiously, but he soon learned that his resistance against the Magnorite was futile, both for the fact that he was a Magnorite, and that his resistance was wasted effort – meaningless.

"Easy..." Onyx said softly in warning, easing his hold on the human as Alec slowly backed down.

Once Onyx had released him, he proudly smoothed the creases from his uniform, readjusted his belt, and holstered his dagger at last; although he did all but take his eyes from the Ardoni that had assaulted his captain, and his hand tingled near the holster just in case.

"Try again Hubris," Kiyoshi said, cradling his jaw with his only good hand, despite the ache he received from holding it against his face for long. He narrowed his eyes to slits and glared at Hubris, furious about the blatant assault. His other arm shuffled irritably in the cloth sling – how he wished he could be at 100% during this time.

Perhaps then, Hubris would have thought twice before launching his fist at the captain.

Hubris did not calm down. He raised a tense finger into Kiyoshi's face.