Art and Observation

It was almost too absurd. Soseki Natsume had been accused once again of attempted murder. To another victim. Only a day after his release. And once again, Barok acted as the prosecution for the trial. This time, however, Ryunosuke would act as the attorney, with Susato at his side, serving as his judicial assistant.

The court session proved long and befittingly absurd. Yet it provided Barok with a fascinating insight into how both Ryunosuke and Susato performed in court. For this time, Susato spoke boldly and directly to Barok, unflappable in her conduct and blazing with determination, stepping in when Ryunosuke faltered and helped him to determine the next best course of action. Susato was rather a sight to behold. Her performance was certainly unexpected of one in her position.

When it was over, Barok waited for the freshly acquitted Soseki to be removed from the defendant's antechamber. Only then did Barok venture forth to meet with the defense and the friends and family who had observed them from the gallery.

"So...I think, in the end...it wasn't the worst court performance ever?" Ryunosuke said, rubbing the back of his neck.

Genshin let out a soft laugh. "No. It was well-done, Naruhodo-san. You are growing into a very proficient attorney quite rapidly."

"Mr. Naruhodo is a fast learner!" Susato said.

"Honestly...I couldn't have done it without you, Miss Susato," Ryunosuke said.

"I think you both were so splendid!" Iris said cheerfully.

"Yes! I shall regale Klint with all the details when he gets home," Lady Baskerville said.

"I wonder what that 'forbidding' prosecutor thought," Kazuma said. "Many chalices perished tragically in today's proceedings."

"That was rather wasteful. And here Lord van Zieks had promised to consider the needs of others the next time he held a glass of wine in his hand!" Susato said ardently.

"It does provide someone with work, I am sure. Cleaning up all that glass and wine," Lady Baskerville said.

"We can only hope they are compensated for it fairly," Genshin said.

"Oh dear. Yes, that must be a terrible task!" Susato said.

"Perhaps you can confront him directly," Kazuma said.

"I will!" Susato said.

"Pray forgive the discourtesy if my shattering of wine glasses offends," Barok said.

Susato whirled towards him. He bowed and she bowed back as if upon reflex before fixing him with a hard look, her hands on her hips. "I thought noblemen were supposed to remain true to their word," she said.

"...I did indeed consider my actions. However...such woefully frequent and seemingly inconsequential meanderings can drive a man to great vexation and impulse," Barok said.

"Haaaah," Ryunosuke sighed and slumped, sweat gleaming on his brow afresh.

"...However, I must admit I was thoroughly impressed with what I witnessed today in the courtroom," Barok said.

"Oh! Um, thank you! Lord van Zieks!" Ryunosuke said, straightening and smiling.

"...I fear I was referring to Miss Mikotoba's performance," Barok said.

"Mine?" Susato gasped.

"Oh..." Ryunosuke slumped once more.

"You two performed quite effectively together. Miss Mikotoba, however, was surprisingly bold during the proceedings. It is rare to see such actions from a judicial assistant," Barok said.