Chapter Twelve

Schuyler

"Schuyler. Please. What happened to you?"

I scoffed.

"Come on. Look at me, love." 

I met gazes with his shrouded eyes. The simmered a deep green, a silent plea painted on them. A dense sigh fluttered, trudging through the pressing silence.

"You won't believe me, you know." I whispered. Digging my thumb nail into the pad of my finger, I tried to suppress the tears.

"I was kidnapped. Two - uh - men took me from California."  I fiercely bit my lip as a hollow pang thumped in my heart. "They - um - they brought me here and I - uh - I was with them for a while until I ran. I ran away today," I breathed in deep. This was hard. I continued, nearly swallowing my words. "Nick - he - he was the one who took me and then chased me after I ran. So I just - I guess I ended up here."

I bore my stare into the ground after I finished, as if I could singe a hole through the wooden floors.

Harry was so still. A discomforting quiet tightened the air around me. It was suffocating. His grasp was immobilizing. I felt relieved when he spoke, glancing anxiously up at his reaction.

Clenched closed were his jaded eyes, a taut jaw quietly tensing. 

"Was Nick the one that hurt you?"

I failed to meet his gaze.

His grip was enduring, like a vice around my body. I held in my breath, fearing the slightest movement would provoke his persisting questions. 

"Schuyler."

A small sigh tapered from my lips. I made a decision. My particular idea revolted me, its foulness puddling in my thoughts. But it must be done. I couldn't risk putting Harry and Louis at stake to save me. I hardly knew them.

I just wasn't worth it anymore. My heart swelled with sadness as I accepted the deprecating truth. I really wasn't worth that much. 

"Yes, Harry. Nick gave me these bruises."  A mere whisper threaded my voice. Dark curls leaned toward me, their downy wisps brushing my forehead. I ignored the sudden strain of Harry's hands. He pressed me closer to his stiff chest, careful not to touch the gaping wound on my back.

" I don't understand. Why wou-"

His tense words ceased as the falling of footsteps neared the room.

***** If I put a person's name in bold at the beginning of the chapter it means it is in their point of view. just saying might be helpful