Chapter Five

I was winded. My bare feet slapped the hard ground. Morning risers littered the streets. I spun around, desperately trying to tame my running thoughts. I tapped an old man's shoulder.

"Sorry. Excuse me but where are we right now?  What city?"

The man eyed me curiously, as if I were blithering on in a foreign language.

"London."  He finally responded, then turned on his heels, muttering, "Queer Americans, always was an off country."

I swallowed hard. London? 

But that was all the way across the seas. Shit. I have no money, no family, no food, and no way of getting home. There was no rationalizing this. Slowly, I gathered my wits. My ears picked up a noise. A far cry. A name.

"Schuyler!"  Schuyler, where are you!" 

My eyes widened. I hadn't run as far as I thought, Nick must have discovered my escape. I tore through the street crowds, oblivious to the shouts of discomfort from the pedestrians. 

I rounded a corner. Apartments lined the expanse of the road. Nick's voice was growing closer.

The pads of my feet blazed against the pasty sidewalk, adjoining the large flats. I furiously stared at them, chaos creasing my expression. Anything to help me escape. A cracked window. A gaping door. 

Curtains tangled in the wind caught my eyes. They billowed against the window frame, ghosting the London air. It took all of the strength I had in my shaking arms to hoist myself onto the wooden floor of the house. 

I nearly laughed at the irony of the situation. I was breaking and entering into someone's house to get away from a man who broke into my own home. 

Gasping, the soothing air enveloped my lungs, caressing them with each gulping breath. I curled up against the wall of the foreign home, pleading with God I could leave before the owners discovered a strange girl lurking in the corner of their front room.

***** OKAY so I lied, One Direction is not in this chapter but it would still be nice if you could vote . . . ? Maybeh maybeh not. Me no know. But legit, without a doubt, One Direction makes themselves very apparent in the next chapter my darlings.