Chapter Fourteen

Schuyler

I exhaled, a nervous tremor tingling my fingers.

Louis had figured me out so quickly. I wonder what else his melting cobalt eyes percieved of me. It won't matter anyway. I'll be gone from their lives by tonight. I just can't face the pain they might endure if Nick manages to find me here with them. 

Louis' next words were dwindling, daring in their timid attire. The other boy were coming home, and I have to explain myself to them? I cringed. I can almost taste the creeping shame that will accompany the blushing introduction.

A startling clap resonated from Harry. His husky voice broke the quiet strands that webbed the room.

 I swallowed my distasteful reply to his suggestions. I didn't want anyone seeing my bruises. But I suppose i have no choice, unless i would like to be pressed for the excruciating details of my kidnapping. I reciprocated a small nod of my head.

"I'll take care of my own cut.'

Harry tossed me a look of considerable exasperation.

" It's not just a tiny cut, Schuyler. You'll be lucky if you don't need stitches." 

He touched a light hand on my shoulder, directing me towards their sprawling kitchen.

" Here - erm -  just sit on the counter. By the sink, I guess."

Louis darted to the cabinets, ransacking the neat piles of washcloths to bring me one. I unfolded the material from his warm hand, scooting myself to dribble tap water over the cloth.

My arm contorted to press the cloth to my lower back. White hot needles prodded the long scrape, spasm of pain ricochettting up my spine. A cry fell from my mouth at the touch and my mouth twisted in a grimace. I immediately retracted the dripping washcloth, my fingers ghosting the empty air around the wound.

"Let me, Schuyler."  Harry's quiet voice was firm.

I nodded, clenching my teeth together. A gentle hand snuck around my torso to grasp my trembling fingers. The other palm sponged the stinging cloth against my wound, the sharp coolness tensing my body.

"Relax, love."  He breathed in my ear.  "Try and focus on something else."

My breath wavered. I pressed my hand tighter in Harry's mass palm, my mid slipping as the wash cloth shifted. I felt as though hours had passed in those minutes, the ache in my back burning strongly as before.

"Louis! Could you get the medecine? It might be in the unpacked boxes in the upstairs bathroom!"  His husky voice called out to the other room.

A retreating reply answered him, as heavy thuds sounded up the stairs.

"Almost done. I prom-"

The crinkling turn of a doorknob, and thick voices from the front, interrupted Harry's words. My eyes widened, and I shifted on the marble countertop. Harry gave my hand a small squeeze.

"Just stay here for now. I'm going to go talk with the boys, okay?" 

He cast me a reassuring smile before exiting the kitchen. Once again, I was alone.