Book I, Act I: Ashes, Chapter I

Edited by: Bieverdog AO3: GalavantingGoose, Due_Cardiologist_292, and ultimatebookworm08

Book I

失衡

Prologue:

It was one of the hottest summers in the Fire Nation, and a sluggish, young Iroh II was daydreaming about holidays in Ember Island, about spending the whole day on the beach with his friends without a care in the world. Instead, he was in the Royal Library, accompanied only by his thoughts of freedom and his mother.

Forced to bury his head in a hundred-year-old scroll, 'A Treatise on Fire Nation Diplomacy', he constantly fought the urge to fall asleep. However, the echoing steps of his mother helped to keep him awake. He wasn't sure if it was supposed to be some sort of punishment or lesson, but either way, he tossed the scroll aside, fed up with the drudgery. He let his head droop, almost banging it against the desk, and sighed.

Izumi gave a tired sigh of her own. "Patience, Iroh."

"I've memorized these scrolls for the hundredth time. How is that going to be of any use to me? Things were different during Grandpa's days."

"'History repeats itself.' Ever heard the phrase?"

He rolled his eyes. "But we have the power to change it and bring about a better future. Yes, I have heard it a million times already."

"Exactly, but only if you know it; otherwise, we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past. Those dusty scrolls may one day come in handy to you."

He groaned. "Like you ever read them all."

She laughed lightly. "Oh, I did; my father practically forced me to. He didn't want me to repeat the same mistakes he did."

"Grandfather making mistakes? That's a new one."

"No one is born great, my son. We are all human; we all live, learn, and die by our actions, good or bad. Fire Lord Zuko wasn't always 'The Great'.

She sighed, sitting down next to him. "We have it too easy nowadays. People are always quick to forget it wasn't that way before. They forget the struggles, the sacrifices that were made. If you are ever to rule, you need to know."

"Ugh... It's not that hard; everyone knows the–"

His mother held out her hand. "Ah, don't tell me your answer; I already know it. The tired line from novice history scrolls: 'The Avatar freed the world from the tyranny of Ozai; and here we are, thriving under the wise rule of Fire Lord Zuko.'"

"Well, isn't that what happened?"

"Most people would think that would suffice, but the true story is one that few know. Try to step into their shoes. Back when the future was uncertain, peace was... It was unthinkable for most. And in the Fire Nation, it meant victory. But when it did come, we were defeated... Come, walk with me." She got up, turning off the desk light.

"Where are we going?"

"We're going to grab a drink. This might take some time." Iroh clutched the scroll in his hands, following his mother as she walked with purpose. Soon, he noticed an old sun-bleached building near the palace, a temple of the Fire Sages, now closed and kept as a monastery.

The Fire Sages received them warmly, setting down the Oolong his mother had insisted on drinking despite the weather. "Well...Why are we here?" She sat under cover of shadow near the center of the monastery in a plain, open plaza. Rivulets of water calmly flowed on either side of them.

His mother looked around as steam whispered into the air from her teacup. "This is a very important place; it was where your grandfather was crowned. Few know a great battle was fought here." He looked at her surprised, for that monastery was the last place he would have imagined for that to take place. His mother paused, looking down as he took a moment to reread the scroll. "It was a sad story, but one that happened nonetheless. As a matter of fact, he told me he was your age when it happened..."