Book I, Act IV:Change of Fortune, Chapter II

Book I

失衡

Act IV: Change of Fortune

Chapter II

The landscape that spread before him was an enigma of pastels of dark blues and pale reds blending together. They exuded an air of tranquility that seemed alien to his reality. In the heart of this peacefulness stood a silhouette that brought forth a pang of longing in Zuko's heart. The figure, merely a shadow against the ethereal backdrop, was achingly familiar.

"Mother?" Intuitively, the words escaped his lips as a whisper.

The silhouette turned to face him, the softness of her posture immediately recognizable despite the shadows obscuring her features. Her voice, a soothing lullaby against the harsh reality of his waking life, enveloped him. "Zuko."

He stepped forward, his eyes searching the shadows. "Where are you, Mother?"

The silhouette remained silent for a moment before finally breaking the silence, her voice serene, "My dear child, life has dealt you a difficult hand, and yet you still stand."

He was startled, the abrupt change of conversation leaving his heart aching. He yearned to know her whereabouts, to reunite their broken family.

Her silhouette seemed to step closer, a comforting presence despite the distance that still lay between them. "You are not alone, Zuko. You are surrounded by people who care for you, who are willing to stand with you in the face of adversity. Remember: your strength is defined by the choices you make. Choose wisely, my son. Your friends believe in you, as do I."

Her voice echoed in his subconscious as the edges of his dreams began to blur, the familiar surroundings of his bedroom seeping back into his senses.

"Zuko. Zuko, wake up!" Mai's voice sliced through the disorientation of his drowsy mind.

"Huh, what?" He winced, pain darting through his side as he made an attempt to sit upright.

.

Mai sat beside him. "You were mumbling in your sleep."

Zuko squinted against the intrusive light. "What time is it?"

"Time to get out of bed." She gripped his arm, trying to help him up.

Resistance marked his movement, his free hand cradling his wound. "Mai, I already told you it hurts."

Her voice was stern but not void of concern. "And how do you plan on healing if you idle here all day? The Fire Nation needs its leader. Here, let me help." Standing before him, she grasped his arms, her support becoming his crutch.

A sharp hiss escaped from Zuko as the pain erupted like a wild burst of flame, clawing at his resolve. "Argh, it's funny," he gasped, the corner of his eyes crinkling. "Hit me in the same place Azula did. Must be my lucky scar."

Mai scoffed. "Lucky, only if you happen to be in the vicinity of a royal physician or a water-healer. You should've heeded Mak's advice." Her arm encircled his waist as she guided him to his feet, their steps a slow, synchronized dance.

"Come on." He mustered a half smile. "I'll at least see you out." As they shuffled out of the room, Zuko found his strength returning, each step less reliant on Mai's assistance.

Mako was quick to rush to his help as they exited the room, his face etched with concern. "Your Majesty! Do you need any help?" And Saiko shortly followed suit.

Zuko raised his hand in a lighthearted gesture of dismissal. "It's alright, guys; I've got this."

Saiko's stern face softened at his words. "It's good to see you on your feet, sir."