Chapter 9

Wu Zixin frowned upon hearing the absurd thing the lady spoke about. However, looking at the enthusiastic eyes of this lady, he commented, "He who doesn't bathe for several days, do you think he would bother to keep a perfume sachet for smelling good? That cold sandalwood fragrance is his pheromones."

Xiao Zhan's enthusiasm to search for the sachet was thrown in front of wild animals to eat. He was originally planning to buy a perfume sachet similar to that of Wu Heng to smell good. But he didn't understand the so-called term pheromones.

"What's pheromones—" Xiao Zhan couldn't finish his question when the vendor selling perfume sachet spoke, "Aye how about this lady buying the one with Jasmine smell? I heard the new concubine that the emperor brought along this time smells like Jasmine. What was her name... ah Shen Qin-Er. The sources says that the Emperor is very affectionate towards her."

Hearing this Xiao Zhan scoffed, "Zixin-ge, you see that bald emperor again brought a concubine. Here people like us who are single dogs don't even get a good face to date."

This response from Xiao Zhan got Wu Zixin off guard. Wasn't this lady's name Shen Qin-Er? How come one could be as calm as her after listening to gossip about her own name?!

Xiao Zhan raised his brows and asked the vendor, "That lady.. rhh Er Er yeah Shen Qin-Er! Is she beautiful?"

Vendor, "I heard she is very beautiful."

Xiao Zhan, "Where can I see her?"

Vendor, "I don't know. But if I get to know, I will surely remember to inform you."

The vendor was good at talking and did not want to offend the buyers and lose money. Although the little vendor doesn't know why this lady was interested to meet another lady, she chose to mind her own business. If given a chance she too would like to meet his majesty's new concubine.

Xiao Zhan, "Sure sure. I live at—" Xiao Zhan turned to face Wu Zixin as he didn't know the place of his stay. He might as well use his work address to gain more information. If the new concubine is beautiful, he wouldn't mind taking her to Beijing. At this age of emperor, he can say that the concubine won't stay in the palace for a long time. If she doesn't have any place to stay, he would gladly invite her to his place. Yet, who knew it was all Xiao Zhan's fantasies, nothing less and nothing more.

Wu Zixin stumbled on finding words. He couldn't tell others his address as the vendor might recognize him as 'the emperor's close person'. He smiled politely, though he wasn't polite within, and said, "This lady, we will buy two of these." He randomly pointed at a sachet that did not have good embroidery.

Xiao Zhan blinked at him and took the two sachets carefully. Wu Zixin paid double the price without giving it a thought. Xiao Zhan doesn't understand the money exchange system in this universe. As per what he had seen in ancient dramas and all, these little things cost some copper coins. But Wu Zixin exchanged silver pieces. He is really rich. Xiao Zhan thought.

After paying her, Xiao Zhan asked, looking at the sachet with blue colour. "Does your brother like these?"

Wu Zixin, "He will throw me out if I show it to him."

Xiao Zhan, confused, "If he doesn't like it,,, Then why did you buy them? If you have more money, give it to poor people."

Wu Zixin, "She is from a poor family. Her father once served in the army. But after his death at the frontier, her mother couldn't manage to earn their meals. She sold herself in brothels but on the first night, she got killed mysteriously. The girl out there has a little brother at home."

Hearing the story, Xiao Zhan suddenly felt a heartache. The sachets which looked uglier earlier, now the same sachets looked pretty. He decided to keep it with himself. Wu Zixin was such a kind person. Despite staying on the border, he knew everything that's happening here.