XVII

All of a sudden, in a searing burst of light,  Alina, who had reclaimed the power the stag had given her,  used her light to move the fold moved away from the skiff allowing her to protect all those onboard. 

Suddenly, the light started to fade and the fold closed in once more. Ivan was using his ability on Alina, who was doubled over in pain. Jesper came to the rescue and shot Ivan and eventually knocking him out with the revolvers as he couldn't "shoot that pretty face." 

Multiple gunshots sounded as Mal fought General Kirigan, eventually pushing him off the skiff. There they fought one another until a volcra dragged the General into the fold. Mal reboarded the skiff and made his way to where Alina lay unmoving on the deck. 

"What happened?" Mal asked 

"It's Kirigan's Heartrender." Inej responded 

"Come on, Alina. Alina, come back for me, please. Alina?" Mal begged, "Please wake up. Please come back. Please." 

The volcra could be heard growling as the ship stayed stationary inside the darkness.

Lanying brought her hands together and sped up Alina's heartbeat little by little. 

"Come on, please." Mal pleaded 

Alina woke and gasped, "Mal..." 

"I'm here." Mal replied. "Don't you dare say, "Meet me in the meadow."

The volcra circled around the skiff and Alina made the light sing once more as she created a bubble of light that protected them as the escaped the fold. 

---

Once they made it out of the fold, they walked a little further from the fold and set up a fire. Everyone minus Kaz and Kasper, sat around it. The two brothers  walked up each carrying a bag on their shoulders. Jesper stood up to meet them. 

"Step one for any good plan, a change of clothes." Jesper said as he handed the bag to Mal. "It's worked for me. Here." 

"Thank you." Mal reponded

"So... will you still be trying to kidnap me?" Alina asked 

" 'Course not." Jesper answered 

Kaz shot him a withering look.  "Have you found religion, too?" 

"No, it's just... " Jesper sighed,  "I'm exhausted. Besides... it'd be bad form to kidnap someone after they saved your life." 

"You are quite valuable, you know?" Kaz said to Alina, who produced the hairpiece she had been wearing. "So is this." 

Kaz reached out and took it, "I saw this on a portrait of one of the queens in the Little Palace."

"It's not a gift. It's to keep quiet about who I am. Where I go from here." Alina said 

Kaz pocketed the hairpiece and said, "The deal is the deal." The two shook hands. 

"Lanying, change as well. The kefta will make you a target. I have your clothes here." Kasper said and handed over the bag he had been carrying. 

Lanying took the bag from Kasper and walked off to change, when she was finished, she came back and dropped her kefta into the fire. 

Setareh gasped. "Why would you?" 

Lanying turned towards her. "Lanying Kir-Shan of the Second Army is dead." Upon seeing her friend's face, she said, "See this dark grey jacket? It's my old kefta. It's simply altered, but it can still stop bullets." 

Setareh relaxed a bit. "Alright." 

Lanying turned to Kasper. "My top was red before. I've got a green one and a brown corset now."