Chapter 9

Y/n tearily stared at the two embracing each other, Reiner never gave him a chance to walk since he carried him to the kitchen where his little celebration was held.

Mihai sat on Reiner's lap as if he were his sacred plushie, his father's arms loosely around him even when Y/n instructed that he blew his candles out with a small wish. "I want to be big and tall!" Cocking a brow at what he proclaimed, the three were amused.

"You already are," Zeke scoffed and ruffled his hair. He and Pieck had already understood what happened, his age regression had turned him into what seemed like an eight-year-old kid. "No but I want to be bigger!"

"You're already tiring as you are," Y/n teased, "If you were any bigger we'd be dealing with an emotional bear."
The man pouted at her words but never took back his. He just wanted to be able to protect Y/n and their bumblebee, so that whatever Y/n was 'working on' to finally live a peaceful life could be dealt with by him, in a matter of a few seconds.

"Come on now, don't look so upset, it's your birthday." Zeke added. "And look what me and Pieck got you," the black-haired woman held the golden retriever up to him. Reiner's face softened at the sight of the puppy, excited even to a stranger like him.

"Careful with him, you should open mine." Y/n moved the cake out of the way and slid the neatly wrapped box in front of him. The paper she used was covered in cartoon bears and was green and pink. It felt bad to rip it apart.

Once he opened the box there was a set of toys inside, ones that Y/n spent this weeks allowance on. They were all expensive at the moment but she was sure everything would calm down. Reiner looked at her as if to say, 'really? You did this for me?'

She nodded and pinched his cheek. "I- I made you a card... pa." Mihai shyly spoke up, his palms clammy against the envelope he kept hidden.

Reiner innocently blinked down at him, his feline eyes showing curiosity and no harm. The boy set it down on the closed box, giving his father a choice to open it now or later. However, Reiner decided on the present rather than the future.

Mihai blushed in preparation as the envelope opened up to a colourful handmade card.

'To the best daddy ever' it read, a photo of a tall man with a tan uniform on, hazel coloured eyes and yellow hair. "You're really talented." Reiner stroked his cheek while his other hand kept the card open. He silently read the messy handwriting. 'Happy birthday pa, I'm hoping I can see you again, but I might have to send this by mail :( either way, I'm still counting the days I can see you! I love you and I hope you get better soon! -Mihai'

For a good amount of the time he read the card, he seemed mature, a glint of sadness that made him want to return something he wasn't so sure of. The answer was clear, Mihai made him feel responsible.

"I love it." Reiner set the card down and bought his lips to the boy's cheek. "Thank you, Mihai."

After a while, Pieck and Zeke played with Reiner, the game mostly consisted of Zeke teasing Reiner and making him whine. Pieck could tell he was getting a kick out of terrorising Reiner like he was his own son.

Y/n smiled at the sound of the trio playing. She was putting the dog stuff away. Her friends were kind enough to buy a few supplies for the puppy to start her off with. Mihai was helping her put the stuff away. Except he also seemed deep in thought.

"Mummy?"

She hummed and continued to stack the different dog foods. "Will I be able to stay, with you and pa?"

Y/n halted in her movements, thinking to herself about what the least hurtful thing she could tell him. "Honey, I promise." She kneeled down to his height and held his shoulders. "One day you'll stay with us forever, but today- I don't think it's today." Her chest sunk at the tears gathering in his eyes.