Chapter 10

Though only in the midst of August, it was starting to get colder by the day. Y/n finally saved enough for the doctors. She predicted the price of the surgery, and so doubled that amount. The money she made working in the cafe piled up with the savings was more than enough.

Y/n had buried Reiner in sweaters, thick clothing, a coat, and a pastel blue hat with a cute pompom on top. Finally, she wrapped a scarf around his neck, allowing only his eyes to prevail. "Right that's it," she smiled to herself, applauding herself for a good job, "Don't want you catching a cold on me."

His eyes disappeared in his grin, shaking his head in agreement. She took his clothed hand with her bare ones, feeling the fuzzy material of his mittens intertwine around her hand.

Y/n led him down the tan path to the bus stop, where she'd take directions towards the address. Thankfully not too far away. She'd prefer it if she had just bought a car. She knew Reiner had a huge chance of falling asleep midway.
And her theories were confirmed to be true once they had gotten on the bus, he leaned against her shoulder and cuddled her arm, his body limp yet at peace.

Still, there were many stops before they'd arrive. He silently repositioned himself on her, averting her attention onto him again. Y/n kissed his forehead and rested her head against his, allowing herself to dream.

≈≈≈

There really was no point in going to work for Zeke. The war was over, no one had won, no one had lost. Apart from the countless lives declined in their nation due to the revenge of those once innocent people they call "devils".

The island of people they so despised had hit back, harder than anyone predicted. Although close to annihilating the entire nation of Marley, they stopped, as if warning them to stay clear of their land.

Marley had given up, they left the people alone. However, they were more cautious this time. They stocked up on soldiers and military weapons lined up, just in case. But Zeke knew they'd start another war if their delusional paranoia rose up on the subject again.

The people would purposely have their attention averted onto something horrible yet stupid as the Marleyan government plans things no one would realistically stand for.

Nevertheless, being a war chief of Marley meant he wasn't allowed to speak against them. Otherwise who knows what would happen. The punishments varied. It could get his family tortured, he could be executed or maybe he'd suffer the same fate as Reiner. A life full of humiliation was worse than having his life stripped away in one blow.

Sir Magath, his superior, had always been suspicious of Reiner's whereabouts. He never believed the conspiracies that he died. The military would be invited to his grave, and if not, then at least one funeral home would have been hired for it. But every single one that the military checked had denied their accusations, stating that even if the wife of such a pitiful failure would come into their business, they'd throw her out.

He had a lit cigarette between his lips as he observed the humps of roads and buildings from the view next to Zeke Jaeger. "You know," he began. "I never believed that Braun's wife wouldn't invite you to his funeral."

The blond man shrugged blandly, "I suppose her and her child's life mattered more in that moment."

"Maybe..." Magath responded dryly. His eyebrows creased in thought once again. Zeke could see him do so in the corner of his eye. He wanted to kill the man, to push him off and watch as his body tumbled and punctured against the sharp rocks beneath them. Even after believing Reiner was dead, the military was ordered to look for any signs of his whereabouts. Dead or alive.