Chapter 13

The next morning concluded that her dream theory was false. She really was tucked into her bed yet awakened at an unknown time. Judging by the light trapped through the curtains, it must be a few hours before afternoon. This meant that someone really helped her home and carried her up the stairs last night. But it couldn't be who she's thinking of... right?

The room was unrealistically tidy with the toys being cleared away from the messy pile that would usually greet her at every entry, the floor spotless and the table creepily organised. More alarmingly, there was an empty space right by her side, leaving a cold void in a place where warmth was guaranteed.

She threw the covers off and skipped to the kitchen. Y/n needed to confirm that her dream came true, preparing for heartbreak in case it was all an illusion. The very thing she was overthinking needed to be true, no matter how unrealistic it was.

The house wasn't absent of noise, no, it was full of it. Pluto barking, the gentle slam of the oven. Even the birds were chirping. Everything was eerily okay, aside from the absence of the honey deep voice that grew on her.

Watching in amusement as the dog bowl lowered down to the enthusiastic puppy, she could only hunch by the door frame. Stunned and teary at the man who she swore wasn't the same one she used to bathe and feed every day. He stood tall and proud though his head hung low to keep a soft eye on his pet. Y/n could find it in herself to celebrate that she hadn't shaved him, since now, the look suited him more.

At last, his gaze located hers, a smile even wider than the last decorated his mature features. He held his arms out, "Good morning, dove"-

Before he could finish his sentence, she launched herself into his embrace, making him emit a squeal of happiness as her arms tightened around him. "I don't know what happened..." her words were laced with huffs of laughter, "but I'm so glad you're okay again!"

"You missed me?"

"You were always in there," She mumbled against him, "But I'll take you in any form, any day."

His hands gripped her waist before hoisting her up to his hips, where her legs gladly wrapped themselves around. "Is that so?"
With her arms slithering over his shoulders, she nodded, earning a kiss on the nose. Even in this utopia moment, she couldn't help but notice his growing strands of blond. Her fingers threaded through, causing him to lean into the touch, "What even happened?"

"Hm?"

"They normally shave patients that get brain surgery but your hair is still intact."

"Oh?" He chuckled, "I didn't get surgery, dove, they hypnotised me-"

"What?!"

Sensing her distress, Reiner sat her on the counter and rubbed her thigh for comfort. Her hand rose up to snatch a fistful of her hair. "They said they needed four grand for surgery, but they just hypnotised you?! I mean- why did it even take that long?"

"I passed out, at least... from what I remember."

"Mmh..." She softly grunted, "Whatever, I don't care as long as you're okay." She cradled his face, "They didn't try anything funny on you, did they?"

"I doubt you would have let it happen," He took her hand and shyly fidgeted with it, tracing every mark and wrinkle on the inside of her limp palm. "Thanks, for putting up with so much." He mumbled, "I can remember almost all I did and I don't know how you didn't go insane."

Her hands sandwiched his larger ones in hers. Yet his sheepish gaze refused to meet hers. Y/n tilted his chin up, forcing their eye contact. "You weren't yourself, Rein."
He shook his head, a disappointed frown crinkling his beautifully sculpted nose. His hand slid up her back and lingered on her spine, causing her gaze to slightly waver in mild pleasure.