06 | a leave

❛ ╯˚✧ . ˚ ⚘₊

Ayato frowned. I pulled away from Thoma and set him upright, "I was just carrying the linen." I turned then started in the opposite direction, another hand caught my wrist and I turned.

"Thoma, I told you I'm-"

"Y/n, what happened when you went into the woods?"

I widened my eyes, Ayato stared at me with a terrifying expression.

"I-" I pulled back but he was much stronger than Thoma had been, "I don't want to tell you!"

"Y/n, I know you met with Kaedehara Kazuha. I know what you talked about, but something shook you. Tell me and I will release you."

"What? How did you know any of that?"

Ayato pulled me closer, "It's my job to watch over you, of course, I would send the Shuumatsuban wherever you go. Not even Ayaka could convince me out of it, and don't you think that would only make me more curious if you requested specifically for me not to follow you?"

"Your job?"

Ayato paused.

"Is it your job to look after every maid you've ever had and make sure they do exactly what you want them to do?" I snapped. Ayato looked at me sternly, "No, Y/n that's not what I--"

"Fine then! If you intend to keep watch over me as long as I work for you then I resign!"

He glared at me, "Y/n, I reject your resignation."

A shiver ran down my back and my nerves silenced themselves, I'd never seen Ayato so angry before and he was angry at me. I glanced at Thoma nervously but he looked away from me.

I clenched my teeth and Ayato released me.

"I-I don't understand, h-how--?"

"Y/n, you may not leave this house under any circumstances, do you understand? You are to never enter the courtyard or touch any ground outside of this residence."

I shrunk, and my heartbeats came slower.

"Why?" I squeaked in a small voice, terrified to reach anything over a whisper.

"Thoma, could you give us a moment?" He signalled to Thoma and the sound of his footsteps leaving was enough to stir my discomfort.

"Y/n. Have you ever read the book, 'The Mercy of the Thunderbird'?"

What? First, he's as red as a Jueyun Chili and now he was asking me if I'd checked off my summer reading list?

I responded shakily, "N-no."

"It's an Inazuman classic, the retelling of the legend formally passed orally through villagers. Once there lived a close relative to the Archon of Eternity known as the Archon of Infinity. However, unlike other archons, she lived in Celestia in peace while her subjects worshipped her from below and instead of showing herself, she relied on the faith of her subjects which told her they were true to her."

Ayato looked into my eyes blankly, "All she wanted was for her people to thrive in the land that she'd trained the Archon of Eternity to protect. Although all gods are immortal, simply put, she was outstanding when it came to maturity and her followers were so devout even the gods would praise her name."

"What happened to her?"

"She disappeared after supposedly making a contract with another anonymous god sealed by the Archon of Contracts, however, the contract forbids Rex Lapis from speaking of the terms and the punishment of a broken contract surely applies to him as well."