07 | a dress

❛ ╯˚✧ . ˚ ⚘₊

Anxiety crept up my spine as Ayaka gently touched my shoulders and pressed the soft satin of the dress against my skin.

I shifted my hands and picked at my nails as the blindfold around my eyes kept my eyes wandering inside of the fabric.

"Almost done!" Ayaka whispered and I let her drive her fingers through my hair and clip it back with a metal pin. I clenched my fists on the fabric and rose from the stool as she announced her finishing remarks and led me to the mirror.

When she unwrapped the blindfold and untucked the knot from the back of my head, my eyes closed instantly, afraid to look at myself.

"Y/n," she giggled, "You can open your eyes."

I gulped and softly opened my eyes, staring at the girl in the mirror.

She was beyond gorgeous, there was no way that was me.

Ayaka's eyes twinkled with delight when she hugged me and smiled, "I've always wanted to give a friend a makeover! It's so different when it's another girl and not just Thoma in a dress," she chuckled.

I stifled a little warm laughter that burned bright colours in my throat.

The dress was sleeveless and had an opening in the back in the shape of a V. The hairpin successfully tucked my stray baby hairs into my head. My heartbeat sped up.

The flowery bottom was ruffled and flowers were stitched into the side beautifully.

"M'lady, where are you? I have the extra pins!"

"Thoma!" 

Ayaka lept into the hallway and welcomed him into the room as his eyes trailed the floor and rose to my face. He looked away quickly. I could sense redness in his cheeks.

Worried he was embarrassed for me, my face quickly turned pink.

"A-ah, here," he gifted the tray of pins to Ayaka and she chose a few and slipped them into my hair.

"Thoma, turn around and look! What do you think?" Ayaka beamed.

Nervous, I looked away and twisted my fingers together.

Thoma looked in my direction and smiled, "It's perfect." He admitted and came closer, unclasping one of Ayaka's pins and slipping it in carefully, caressing my scalp with his fingers.

His hand traced down the side of my cheek and he pushed my chin upwards. I stared into his eyes.

He appeared kind of...sad internally. I wondered if something about Ayato and I bothered him.

"Look up, it suits your posture better." He whispered to me then turned to Ayaka, "You have to get ready for this evening too, don't you, M'lady?"

"Yes, I have my dress actually, thank you for agreeing to spend tonight with me, Thoma!" She raced away and Thoma sighed, following her.

I traced my finger down the gown and momentarily thought of what Ayato would think. Was it too formal? I bit my lip.

A knock suddenly came at the door I hadn't realised had been closed.

I opened my mouth to ask who it was when Ayato's voice came through.

"Y/n, I--Could I come in for a second?"

I pulled a strand of hair loose from my head and played with it as I shyly squeaked, "Yes."

I shrunk into the corner as he walked in with a bouquet of roses and flashed his eyes towards me, stunned by my dress. He sensed my shyness and chuckled, pulling me close to him and holding my hand.