2.04

*sorry for the short chapter, but i wanted to just get SOMETHING out, hopefully longer chapters soon? maybe?? no promises, because i finish my foundation year at uni in like a month so i wanna focus a little on my final assessment for term 3. xx <3*

"'𝔗𝔦𝔰 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔞 𝔠𝔥𝔢𝔮𝔲𝔢𝔯 𝔟𝔬𝔞𝔯𝔡 𝔬𝔣 𝔫𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔰 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔞𝔶𝔰
𝔚𝔥𝔢𝔯𝔢 𝔇𝔢𝔰𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔶 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔪𝔢𝔫 𝔣𝔬𝔯 𝔭𝔦𝔢𝔠𝔢𝔰 𝔭𝔩𝔞𝔶𝔰:
ℌ𝔦𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔱𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔥𝔢𝔯 𝔪𝔬𝔳𝔢𝔰, 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔪𝔞𝔱𝔢𝔰, 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔰𝔩𝔞𝔶𝔰,
𝔄𝔫𝔡 𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔟𝔶 𝔬𝔫𝔢 𝔟𝔞𝔠𝔨 𝔦𝔫 𝔱𝔥𝔢 𝔠𝔩𝔬𝔰𝔢𝔱 𝔩𝔞𝔶𝔰."
~ Edward FitzGerald (trans.), "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam"

---

Estelle saw Alastair approaching the table, and so to avoid watching something unpleasant, she excused herself and headed to the roof of the building, where she usually went to get away. She unhooked her scabbard from under her dress and placed it on the ledge of the building before pulling herself up, careful to avoid messing up her dress.

She had some quiet for a few minutes before the door to the roof burst open and Matthew came hurtling out.

"Everything alright, cariad?" She called.

He looked towards her, and a smile bloomed on his face. "Not really, but it's less my concern."

"What happened?" She jumped down from the ledge and tilted her head to the side slightly. Matthew walked closer to her and leaned his elbows on the roof ledge beside her, closing his eyes and sighing. The breeze blew by, ruffling his golden strands. She turned her back to the door and faced the same way as him, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with him.

"Alastair. He came over and was all civil with us but then he asked to speak with Tom. Of course, Tom didn't take it well. Then Cordelia's father collapsed I believe. It was a lot." Matthew explained, bringing a shaky hand up to adjust his jacket.

She noticed it was shaking and nudged him with her own hand. When he looked at her, she held it out offering it to him. He smiled and took it, curling his fingers around hers tightly. She squeezed back. "Tom wasn't the only one affected, cariad. You know that, and I know that." She hummed.

"Tom was affected – "

But she cut him off before he could continue. "Matthew. How many times do I have to tell you, you've known for much longer than Thomas, his anger is more fresh, but yours is festering, my love."

Matthew sighed shakily. "I'm never going to get over what happened."

"I don't expect you to." Estelle brushed her shoulder on his.

"You'll marry a broken man?"

"I'll marry you, Matthew Fairchild. However you are, I will marry you and love you. if you'll have me, I will be there." She let go of his hand and instead cupped his face with it, turning it to look him in the eyes. She traced his cheek with her thumb.

Matthew covered her hand with his and turned his head, kissing her palm. "Always. I'll always have you, mon amour."

"Good. I never want to hear you doubting my decision and my choice to marry you, understood?"

"Yes, ma'am." He nodded. "Speaking of marriage."

"Hmm?" She hummed in response. "What about it?"

"Our wedding." Matthew brought up. "I- did you mean what you said about it being exclusive to Charles?"

"Perhaps. Is that something you want?"

"Estelle, I don't care who's there, as long as it's me and you and we're getting married, I'll be happy doing it in a dump."

"I will not." She frowned.

"I know you won't. Whatever you want, I'll make it happen." He swore.

"Math, it's your wedding too, I want you to have some input."

"You mentioned exclusive? I want that. Our friends and our family. That's it."

"Yeah?" She smiled. "That sounds good to me." She hugged him, standing on her tip toes to lean her chin on his shoulder, while he tucked his head in the crook of her neck, his golden locks tickling her cheek.

"Math, about the house – "

"That is one thing I want you to trust me on." He pulled away and gave her a look. "Let me handle it."

"Math, cariad, please don't spend too much money on this." She gave him a pleading look.

"Mon amour, it's our house, I'm going to spend all the money on it. I'm the Consul's son, let me use the money I have on you."

She hesitated.

"It'll make me happy." He switched tactics.

"Fine." Estelle relented.

"Thank you." He cupped her face and kissed her. "It'll be the home of your dreams."

"I trust you know that for me anywhere with you will be the home of my dreams."

"Doesn't mean it can't be a nice place." Matthew shrugged.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from you, cariad."