Dragon Training

Disclaimer: I do not own How to Train your Dragon or any of the spin off series. Only my OCs and my version of the tales.

Chapter 2: Dragon Training

Hiccup and Henna were walking through the forest, heading back to where they had last seen the Night Fury, "So... why didn't you?"

"What?" His sister asked as they bent down to study the left-over bola ropes.

"Gobber said that a dragon will always go for the kill, but that Night Fury didn't. He had the chance, he was standing over me, poised for the attack. But..." he trailed off.

"He didn't." Henna finished, looking around the woods. She pointed at a trail ahead of them and they decided to follow. They came to a rocky opening in a wall. They crept in and noticed a large cove surrounded by rocks, stones and trees. It had a lake in the center and no dragon.

"This was stupid." Hiccup muttered, turning away. He paused for a moment and bent down to inspect the ground.

"Are those... scales?" Henna asked, leaning down for a look.

Next thing they knew, said dragon streaked up past them, trying to climb up the steep wall. When he exhausted himself, he glided down to land by the lake. The twins exchanged looks of excited and started climbing down the rocks to follow. They stopped and ducked down on a ledge to watch the Night Fury try, and try again, to fly out of the cove.

Hiccup, excited, pulled out a book from his vest and started sketching the dragon.

"Why doesn't he just fly away?" Henna asked, looking his sketch, "I mean, is he injured?"

"His tail." He whispered at her as he erased half of the drawing's tail, "It's gone." He sighed, then promptly dropped his pencil down the cliff, gaining the attention of the dragon. They stared at each other for a moment, no one moving, before the dragon curled up and went to sleep.

"Come on. Let's get out of here before he decides to try his luck at the curious Vikings instead of the fish." Henna whispered, pulling her brother away.

1-2-3-4-5

As Hiccup and Henna walked into the great hall that night, wet from the rain outside, Gobber was talking to the other teens about the days lesson. It was dinner time, so the other recruits were already eating as their teacher was questioning them.

"Alright, where did Astrid go wrong in the ring today?" He asked walking around the tables.

"I mistimed my somersault dive. It was sloppy. It threw off my reverse tumble." Henna rolled her eyes in annoyance at her brother, really over Astrid already. And it was only the first day of training.

"Yeah. We noticed." Ruffnut muttered sarcastically.

"No, no, you were great. That was so Astrid." Snotlout sucked up, still trying to woo the blonde.

"She's right. You have to be tough on yourselves." Gobber said, turning to Hiccup and Henna as they came to the table to grab their food, "Where did Hiccup go wrong?"

"Uh, he showed up." Ruffnut snarked.

"He didn't get eaten." As Snotlout was refusing to let them sit down, they walked over to the next table and sat down.

"He's never where he should be." Astrid said.

"Thank you, Astrid." Gobber agreed as Henna rolled her eyes again. "You need to live and breathe this stuff." He laid a giant brown book in the center of the table of the other teens and talked directly to them, "The dragon manual. Everything we know about every dragon we know of." A rumble of thunder shook the hall as raid poured down outside, "No attacks tonight. Study up." As he left the hall, the other twins and Snotlout started complaining.