8. The New Normal

Author's Note: I know I update every once in a blue moon but PLEASE don't be afraid to interact. Like and leave comments to let me know what you think 🙂

Giselle Rose

"Ms. G, I don't think my mom is coming. I can walk home." My student Amya said as she walked back into my classroom.

So far out of all my students, she was the only one that seemed to gravitate toward me. She didn't talk much but when she did, I made sure to listen.

"Are you sure your mom isn't coming?" I wondered.

"I walk all the time, it's totally okay." Her disregarding my question told me all that I needed to know.

Over the last 2 weeks, I've learned not to push my students to be vocal. The pressure will cause them to shut down then all communication would be nonexistent.

"I don't feel comfortable with letting you walk home alone Amya. I have time to drop you off before I pick up my son." I told her.

"Ms. G, please. Let me walk, I can call you when I get there." She begged.

That set off red flags for me because she seemed scared for me to take her home.

"Is everything okay at home Amya?" Her head turned away from my stare as she shook her head.

"I'm fine I just want to go home...now." I didn't want to push her but there was this feeling I couldn't shake.

"Okay. How about I take you halfway? And watch you up the street?" I tried to bargain with her.

"Okay." She replied instantly.

I could tell that she only agreed to get out of the back and forth.

"Are you sure everything is okay?" I just had to ask again.

"I just have to get home now." She said.

I just nodded.

"Okay. Just give me a few minutes to pack up before we go."
=

Amya insisted I drop her off down the street from her house.

That did nothing but make me worry more but I respected her wishes.

Although, I didn't take my eyes off of her until I saw her enter the house.

Just as I pulled off my phone rang, the call came from GEMS.

The instant panic kicked in wondering what had happened to my Ju bear.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Good afternoon, this is Nathan Hobbs, principal at GEMS. May I speak with Ms. Rose?" Mr. Hobbs's voice sounded.

"This is she. How are you, Mr. Hobbs?" I greeted.

"I'm doing well and yourself?" I could hear the smile in his voice.

He was such a sweet man.

"I'm doing fine. Is everything okay with Jordan?" I worried.