Quiet Christmas

"Hey!" Sunghoon would say as he opened the door for Hyunjin.

"Hi guys." Hyunjin said as he carried gifts in his hands.

"Oh, let me help with that." Sunghoon said, grabbing some from his hands and bringing them to the living room where Emma and I were.

"Thanks." Hyunjin said, also making his way to the living room and setting them under the Christmas tree.

I'd sit on a pillow next to Sunghoon on the floor as we'd each take turns to open up presents. Sunghoons mother was in the kitchen cooking Bulgogi. Sunghoon said that Bulgogi is a popular dish that Koreans eat on Christmas. I took a sugar cookie off the plate that was near us and ate it, it was delicious!

"You're wearing the necklace I got you!" Sunghoon said as he looked at me , showing off his smile.

"Yeah." I replied as the corner of my lips moved up a bit.

"Oh my god!" Emma shouted, as she unwrapped the gift I got her. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She yelled, hugging me tightly.

"Mhm." I mumbled. I got her the bed that she wanted for her puppy. It wasn't that much of a big deal.

"You good?" Hyunjin asked me as we ate dinner. "You've been awfully quiet today."

"Right?" Emma added.

"I'm fine." I answered.

"Are you sure?" Sunghoon asked.

"Yeah," I said, faking a smile yet again. "The food's good by the way." I said, changing the subject.

"Ah, thank you!" Sunghoons mom said, as she was cleaning the counters.

"Why don't you eat with us, Eomma?" Sunghoon said.

"No, no. You kids can eat without me. Don't worry." she said.

"Alright."

I'd walk to the bus stop, playing with the necklace that Sunghoon gave me. It was a quiet, clear night. Fog would escape my mouth as I breathed. I heard someone running to me from behind. I quickly took my bag, ready to hit whoever tried to attack me, but when I turned it was just him.

"Wait!" Sunghoon yelled, getting closer to me. "Y/n!"

I'd put my bag back on. "What? You scared me."

"Sorry." He'd say, rubbing the back of his head.

"It's fine." I replied.

"So, uh," He started. "I wanted to talk to you."

"About?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Our friendship." He told me.

Oh no. What did I do wrong? I thought to myself.

"Y/n, I," He said, getting closer to me. "I like you. I like you a lot and I want to be more than friends."

My eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat as silence filled around us.

"I get it if you don't feel the same way." He told me.

"No, Sunghoon, it's not that."

"What is it then? Why are you looking at me that way?" He asked.

"Sunghoon, I-" I started as tears filled my eyes. "I'm moving."

"What?" He mumbled.

"I feel the same way too. I like you, I really do but no matter how much I want to date you, you deserve better. I can't do this to you. I'm sorry."

"Wait, you do like me?" He asked.

"Of course I like you. Wasn't it obvious? You're the reason I wanted to go to school everyday, why I'd smile every time you'd text me and replied to your texts so quickly. The reason why I was so shy around you was because I liked you, Sunghoon." I told him.

"I- But why are you moving?..." He stuttered. Still shocked at what came out of my mouth.

"I got accepted to a clothing designing college and this might be my only shot, plus it's affordable too. My parents said I'll only be a clothing designer if I pay for college myself. That's why I've been so quiet today."

"Oh. Does Emma know?" He asked.

I shook my head. "Please don't tell her."

"I won't." He quietly said.

"Hey, it'll be okay," I hugged him. "I'm sorry."

~~~

My suitcase would roll along the floor of the airport as I gazed outside the large windows to my right.

"I'll miss you." Emma said, walking next to me.

"Me too." Sunghoon said.

"I'm glad you're living your dreams!" Emma told me.

I smiled as we continued walking. When I got to the gate to get onto my plane I hugged Emma as tight as I could, as well as Sunghoon.

"Will we ever see each other again?" He whispered, still holding onto me.

"Yes." I replied.

"Promise?"

"I promise." I said as he slightly pulled away and stared into my eyes.

"I love you, I hope you know that." He whispered before giving me a delicate kiss and wiping my tears off my cheeks.

"Me too." I smiled before he tightly hugged me again, knocking the breath out of me and giving me another kiss on my head.

"Yeah!" Emma cheered from behind. "Finally!"

I waved them goodbye as Emma was dramatically crying before getting onto my flight. It broke my heart leaving them like this, but we'll meet again.