11

"Goodness-" Kate approached Brynlee once she finally made it back home with Newton, "I heard what happened from Aspen

"Goodness-" Kate approached Brynlee once she finally made it back home with Newton, "I heard what happened from Aspen. You two had a real spat out in public like that?"

Brynlee unlatched the lead from Newton's collar and allowed him to go sprinting further into the house, "Where is Aspen?"

"Changing for the races." Kate answered before she stopped Brynlee from walking off, "Bryn, are you all right?"

"I am perfectly fine." Brynlee answered simply, "I just want to talk with Aspen."

"You should also get ready for the races." Kate pointed out as she took in her friend's appearance, "I am certain you may speak with her on your way there."

Brynlee complied because she was just exhausted and she knew that Anthony would most likely want to converse with Aspen. She was hoping that the mess that occurred would cause him to not want to anymore. But Brynlee had a feeling that the situation was simply more incentive.

In the carriage ride, Brynlee immediately started asking questions, "What did he say to you on the ride home?"

"Lord Bridgerton?" Aspen inquired as she tilted her head to the side, "Oh, just the usual sort of things. You know what I mean. Polite conversation and all that."

"He made polite conversation while you were dripping wet?"

"He did."

Brynlee tapped her foot impatiently, "Anything else?"

"Uh..." Aspen gave her cousin a curious look as she continued, "Not much. He asked for my welfare, of course. Which was only reasonable, considering that I had just been dunked in The Serpentine. Which, might I add, was perfectly wretched. Aside from being cold, the water was most certainly not clean."

Brynlee cleared her throat and sank a bit in her seat. She shifted a bit before asking softly, "Did... Did he make any untoward advances?"

Aspen gasped loudly as her eyes widened, "Of course not! He was a perfect gentleman. Really, I do not see what has you so excited. It was not a very interesting conversation. I cannot remember half of what was said."

"Well alright..."

"He did have a lot to say about Newton though." Aspen added, "I assured him that Newton is truly the perfect pet, and that I was not at all angry with him, but he was rather charmingly upset on my behalf."

Brynlee just rolled her eyes, "How charming..."

"I think you should add Lord Bridgerton to the list."

"Excuse me?"

Aspen rubbed at her nose as she sneezed. She knew that the fall in the water was about to make her sick, "I just feel as though you should perhaps give him a chance. After all, you two were once friends, correct?"

"We were friends, Aspen. Past tense." Brynlee countered, "Why would you want to marry a man like him?"

"I am not sure if I would or would not want to marry him. Hence the addition to the list."