14

No one knew

No one knew. Brynlee had not spoken with anyone about what had happened. She had many opportunities to tell Aspen or Kate, but could not find herself to admit it. And then the many bouquets of flowers that kept appearing for Aspen from Lord Bridgerton would not allow her to even forget. Each time she saw his name on a card, a mixture of anger embarrassment hit her.

"Brynlee!"

With a smile, Brynlee ran out to the carriage to meet her brother. He was somehow taller than she remembered. There was no way he had grown into such a handsome young man in the time they were apart. "Kaden!"

"Goodness-" Rosemary stepped out of the carriage and waved her hand over her face, "How is it you two have so much energy at this time of day?"

Aspen accepted her aunt's hug, "Oh, we are simply far too excited to see one another."

"Well, as happy as I am, we have a long trip ahead of us." Rosemary kissed Aspen's forehead, "Come, let us depart."

Brynlee had been invited to the Bridgerton country home before. In fact, she could recall going when she was a mere child. But she had not been there in many years. She knew that this was just a way to get closer to Aspen. But her mother had been the one to accept the invitation on their behalf. Clever planning on Anthony's end, she had to admit that.

Aspen was in deep conversation with Kaden and Rosemary, she had not even noticed how Brynlee was simmering in silence.

"You must meet Edwina and Kate!" Aspen finally said as she clasped her hands together, "They are so wonderful. Edwina and I have become quite close friends."

"That is lovely, my dear."

Kaden huffed as he rolled his eyes, "That is not entirely something I care about."

"Oh, you are such a cow." Aspen kicked at his leg, which made him huff.

Rosemary smiled at them all as the carriage stopped. She had been the first one to exit and took in Violet holding Daphne's son, "Oh! Is that who I think it is?"

"It is always a joy to see you-" Daphne smiled as Rosemary took hold of her son, "You are the godmother after all."

"Oh, Your Grace." Rosemary kissed Daphne's cheek as she played with her godson, "I am quite happy to see you so well. Perhaps another child on the way."

"Oh, none that I know of, Lady Dormer."

Kaden hopped out of the carriage next and crossed his arms over his chest before murmuring to his sister, "Do you believe they would notice if I slipped away to the library?"

"I will not say anything." Brynlee grinned over at him before he quickly snuck around. She looked up at Aubrey Hall with a smile on her face as she stepped from the group.

"Ah-" Anthony walked down the steps and approached her, "You are smiling."

Her smile disappeared as he stopped in front of her. Brynlee looked away from him but he simply stepped into her line of sight.