17

"How was your night?"

Brynlee turned her head toward her cousin, "Hm?"

Kaden put his legs down and gave his sister a curious look, "Were you not listening?"

"I-" Brynlee opened her mouth to argue but it was the truth. She had been completely wrapped in her mind. She had been thinking about Anthony. After last night, Brynlee was beginning to realize that she had definitely missed their friendship from when they were younger. She could no longer remember who started the instigating when their friendship had concluded. He had stopped speaking with her, but who had started the bickering? "I am so sorry. My mind seems to be elsewhere."

Kaden closed his book, "Aspen asked how your night was?"

"I am a rather light sleeper-" Brynlee murmured softly, "So the storm kept me up."

Rosemary gave her daughter a knowing look, "Were you able to get some sleep?"

"I was." Brynlee offered. "Just not a huge fan of storms."

Aspen clapped her hands together, "Is anyone else excited for the other guests to arrive today? I cannot wait to be able to talk with Edwina."

"Who?"

"Edwina is Kate's younger sister." Brynlee told him as she got up from her seat. Perhaps movement would help her focus. But her mind went back to how Anthony had been staring at her.

"Mm okay." Kaden went back to reading his book in silence.

As they moved outside to promenade. Brynlee took note how the sky was marvelously blue with barely a cloud in sight. She grew excited when she saw the Sharma family greeting Lady Bridgerton. She nudged her brother, "There, that is Edwina."

Kaden shot his sister a glare since she caused him to lose her spot in his book, "Which one?"

Aspen suddenly called out and waved her arm, "Edwina!"

Edwina jumped from the surprise but her smile was bright when she saw who had called for her, "Aspen!"

"Well..." Kaden mumbled as he cleared his throat, "She is quite... pretty..."

Almost immediately, Aspen and Brynlee turned their heads to look at him. Then the pair looked at one another, "Would you like to join us?"

"I-" Kaden shifted where he stood, "May I bring my book with me?"

"Oh-" Aspen hooked her arm with him and shot a smirk to Rosemary, "Of course, did you know that Edwina enjoys reading as well? Especially philosophy."

"Does she?"

"She does."

Brynlee covered her mouth as she walked through the grass to meet with them. She moved her attention to Kate as soon as they approached the Sharma family. "You are staring."