4 - Journey

Despite the inevitably of ones morbidity and the looming death that hung over the small child just a few days ago, Sapphire never felt so excited about the prospects of her future as she did at the day she left her birthplace.

For the first time ever, she was allowed to ride a horse. It was not a old mule that could barely neigh and run, not a cart that the girl wished she could ride at least one as the other village children did. It was a real living and breathing magnificent mare with chestnut fur, a beautiful ivory white mane and big black eyes. It didn't matter to the girl that the other village children who usually played with her avoided her like the plague, as long as she was riding her horse. And she could imagine the envy of those kids when they see her riding one.

Unfortunately, things don't usually turn out the way you want.

"Why must I ride with you!" Sapphire screamed as a soldier lifted her up my her shoulders and shoved her towards the doctor who was on top of the horse of her dreams. "I want to ride alone!"

Cedric took the child by her shoulders and places her on the saddle in front of him.

"Don't be ridiculous. You cannot ride a horse alone. And there isn't enough horses for you to ride."

"You can ride with Sir Knight!"

Sir Leonard and the soldiers looked back, one of the young men trying their best not to imagine the doctor and the knight sitting on the same horse, one in front of another.

While Sapphire was throwing a tantrum, Penelope and Precilla got on to the back of a soldier's horse, with the help of their father and sat sideways. It was impolite for a lady to sit in front of a man with whom she has no recognized intimate relations.

"Hold on tight," the Village chief said.

Madam Helen walked towards Cedric as she held of the reigns of the horse, Sapphire pouting in front of him with her arms crossed.

"Please look out for then, Doctor Gregory. I trust Lord Cohen and his men, but I feel more relieved since you are going with them."

"Rest assured ma'am. No harm with will their was as long as I am present."

"Thank you," Madam Helen said, tearns brimming her eyes. She wiped them off with a handkerchief. "And good luck, Sapphire."

Sapphire blushed, her tantrum forgotten.

"Okay," she said, softly. "You food is very yummy."

Madam Helen laughed.

Children could never stay upset for long. Soon, Sapphire had her hands all over the horse's head, patting it's head and neck over and over.

Sir Leonard took the lead to leave. A few villagers were already out to see them off. A few children waved, to which the soldiers waves back. Sapphire sat straight, proud of her accomplishment in being able to sit on a horse.

In Cedric's mind, he simply sighed, knowing that it was going to be a long journey ahead.

"Be safe," Madam Helen finally said.

Just before Cedric nudged his mare to move, he turned to Madam Helen. He was the last person to leave and the other five horses were already ahead.

"I hope you won't mind that I won't accompany your daughters to the capital all the way, madam."

"You won't?" Madam Helen said, a bit surprised.

"I have other plans," Cedric replied.

Madam Helen stared at the man, speechless.